I have been diagnosed with a C4-C5 herniation, stenosis and arthritis. I am unable to raise my left arm because the nerve that fires the deltoid is pinched by the herniation. My pain started about 2 months ago and was intense for the first 3 weeks. I have had PT and chiropractic treatment which did not help. I had an MRI and the surgeon recommends discectomy surgery to remove the disk. That was a week ago. In the last day or two the neck pain has dwindled considerably but I am still unable to lift my arm. This has gotten me to wondering if I should postpone the surgery and try some other treatments in the meantime. Has anyone out there had experience of the deltoid not working but eventually coming back? I am afraid of permanent damage if I wait too long.