Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF C5-6 Still in Pain 7 weeks Post-Op

ann_6aann_6 Posts: 2
edited 09/16/2015 - 6:11 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I'm new here so Im a little nervous about my question;
I sustained an injury from lifting overhead causing a rupture of my C5-6 disc. I had significant neck pain, pain under my scapula, and numbness in shoulder/arm/fingers....This led to my ACDF of C5-6. I had immediate relief of the severe symptoms.... At my 3 week checkup my spine surgeon said my x-ray looked great and had me discontinue use of my J-collar. I was then permitted to lift up to 20+ pounds and drive (both I was too nervous to do.).... I began have shoulder and back pain as I began light chores. I am trying to back off my Percocet and Flexeril but the more activity I do the worse the pain gets. It radiates up my neck and down my back, not the same pain as the nerve pain before surgery. I called the doctor and he said I should have NO PAIN, but put me on a steroid dose pack which really helped temporarily. Now 7 weeks post-op and I'm still hurting. I go back to the doctor next week, however I am terribly discouraged about all this pain. Is this familiar to anyone at 7 weeks? My doctor seems shocked each time I call.

Thanks for any wisdom~

You are still very fresh out of ACDF surgery. 7 weeks is not a long time. Every doctor, every individual is unique , but if anyone was to try to put an guess at which time frame do you really start to feel better, its the 3 month mark.

Please take a look at this Recovering from Spinal Surgery

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/16/15 14:09

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 09/16/2015 - 8:35 AM
    Ann, what I have learned is that we all heal and recover at different speeds. While it may not be "the norm" to your surgeon to still have pain at 7 weeks, it may be the norm for you. I like you was still having a lot of pain at the 7 week mark and feeling inadequate about it. My surgeon said "some" people have pain until fusion is complete. He has been very patient with me still needing pain meds. I finally turned a corner at 18 weeks post op and now I just take Percocet and flexeril as needed, which is every few days, mainly when I over do it. So be patient with yourself. Some of us take longer than others.
    Maybe you are doing too much too soon? I know for me that was the case. Days I took it easy, my pain was significantly less. Take inventory of your activities, maybe you are over doing it.
    Hang in there, you will turn a corner soon.
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I don't get how doctors can say you shouldn't have any pain one month after major spine surgery??? That's just unrealistic.
    I agree, everyone heals different, everyone handles pain different...but spine surgery is painful!
    Maybe start a diary & write down your daily activities & your pain levels. That way, it'll be easier to see if you're overdoing it.
    Hang in there. It will get easier.
  • ann_6aann_6 Posts: 2
    edited 09/16/2015 - 12:11 PM
    I appreciate the feedback and good ideas. I guess taking something for pain isn't crazy after all !!
  • Sounds like you're overdoing it! The other replies are spot on - although I think it's really rare some are able to do a lot at your point, most are in your shoes. You'll find certain things set you off - for me, I can't do anything repetitive (mop floors, vacuum), or anything overhead (hang laundry) or it sets off spasms. Take things very slow and easy, and make note of what you can and can't do.

ACDF w/Corpectomy C3-6 12/8/14 ; Laminectomy C3-6  5/19/2016