Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Does anyone have any positive remarks about PILF surgery

Laurie AnnLLaurie Ann Posts: 47
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Has anyone had a positive experience with PIF surgery? I am scheduled for one August 12.

• What surgery exactly are you having? I could probably discuss things with you. I had a three level lumbar fusion..
  • There aren't a whole lot of happy things to say about the surgery or recovery process. But, 6 months later, I am able to run again with no pain in my back or down my leg, which was my highest aspiration going into it. I wish I could spin a smiley yarn about fusion recovery for you. But the first 2 months following surgery sucked hardcore. Everything got incrementally better until I found myself 6 months later running around the track amazed at how far I'd come seemingly overnight.
  • I had PLIF on L5/S1 Sept 27, 2006. Since my surgery I have raced my bicycle in several races, ran an adventure race, officiated hockey games, played golf, and done everything a normal individual would do. I wasn't an easy surgery to get through, and it took me over a year to get myself back to normal. It was worth it though, as I don't have much back pain any more.
  • Thanks for the positive stories. This really helps as I try to prepare myself to have lumbar spinal fusion. I dread it, and knowing of at least some positive outcomes (however bad the surgery and recovery are) is helping me commit to doing it. I've wondered if I could ever ski again if I do this. Looks like there's a chance! ;)
  • I am having Posterior Spinal fusion on L4-5 with rods and screws being placed
  • Heidi, I have posted a couple times since my surgery on June 10th, I had 2 level PLIF l4-s1. Like you I was scared to death. I am 5 weeks out today and did my second PT in the water today. I have very little pain, just find it hard to get comfortable sleeping. I have not taken any pain killers other than advil since July 4th. The no BLT is a pain, and I am bored, but the pain I had before surgery was gone in the recovery room and I have not felt it since. I know I have a long way to go but so far I am thrilled and pleasantly surprised that it has not been as bad as I had worked myself up for it to be. I wish you all the best in your surgery! Sherrie