Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Anyone tried a kneeling chair?

Hi all!

I'm having a discectomy with a bunch of other words I don't remember on Tuesday. Not a fusion (yet)! I've read a bunch of threads here that say that sitting post-op is awful...painful and not good for your back. I've bought a pillow with a "cut-out" for my tailbone and I'm wondering if a kneeling chair would be a good thing to have. I can't imagine having to stand, walk, lie down as my only options. Anyone tried this? Thanks!

• in my opinion, you probably don't want to sit more than 30 minutes every couple of hours. I know it sounds harsh that your only options are to lay down..walk/stand as you can tolerate after surgery...but it's truly the best. Personally, after my 1st surgery, I know I sat alot...and climbing stairs one too many times. I probably didn't heal well. 2nd surgery this past January..I sat less...alot less...and laid down 95% of the time. Thankfully it was Winter!
    Also, looking at that kneeling chair....me..personally wouldn't have wanted to sit in that during my recovery time period.
    By the way, an occupational therapist told me this invaluable advice....don't buy anything (chair/mattress/shoes/pillows) until after 6 months of surgery. (of course they told me this AFTER I blindly purchased a $2200 adjustable bed! - big mistake)
    Best wishes on your upcoming surgery!! Here's to a speedy recovery!! :)
  • DEM, you've just saved me about $75 which I really don't have. It's so tempting to think if I just buy the right stuff, I won't have such a rough recovery. There is so much variation in how people do post-op that I don't know what to expect and I just hate that! Ah, well, I'll know soon enuf.
  • Since everyone's recovery is different, I won't give you any ideas, regardless if it's positive or negative....because as you've just said, there is so much variation. Everybody's body is different. The main focus is to heal and heal properly. Ha Ha....sometimes not knowing what to expect is better than knowing. But I completely understand what you mean about wanting to be proactive and prepared. If you don't mind me asking..what area will they be operating on?
  • ktrombkktromb Posts: 18
    edited 09/18/2015 - 3:47 PM
    I have a large herniated L5-S1 disc. I've been struggling with it off and on for a few years but it got way worse a few months ago. After trying all the things that worked in the past, I finally decided it was time for surgery. What's your story?
  • DEM2015DDEM2015 Posts: 11
    edited 09/21/2015 - 5:20 AM
    to learn more about my story.
    But the shorter version is that I've had revision surgery (lami/discetomey) on L4-S1, in January 2015 from my 1st surgery back in 2011 (both were emergencies)