Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Experience from Fusion surgery on 6/20/08 - Questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was scheduled to have Fusion Surgery of L5-S1 on 6/2/08 but I had to have a root canal so the Neurosurgeon rescheduled for 6/20/08 which was a relief for me as it allowed me to catch up at home and work before taking the time off. My Insurance approved me for two confined days and when I called them to let them know that the doctor said that I would not be released for 3 or 4 days they said it would most likely be approved per my doctors orders, I was released on 6/24/08. The Neurosurgeon used BMP and the General Surgeon went in through the abdomen leaving about a 9 inch scar, the Neurosurgeon said the 3 hour surgery was a success.
The day after surgery I had a nurse from hell who called herself "Nurse Hatchett" - She yelled at me for not using the breathing apparatus that was left in the room and asked me if i wanted to die? I told her that no one had told me what it was or how to use it. She later shut off my morephine pump without telling me and when I awoke in pain and buzzed for a nurse she showed up 1 hour later and said that she did it because I was too out of it and she knew I would request pain meds when I needed them. The next day I told a different nurse that I didn't want her near me and thankfully I didn't see her again. Day 2 in physical therepy I didn't accomplish much as I passed gas and vomited the contents of my stomach (lots) all over the floor, on Day 3 I was well remembered but it was the most productive day.
On 7/2/08 I had my staples removed and when I got home I noticed that I had a gaping hole above my belly button with a yellow discharge, of course the office was closed and when I called the next day the nurse said "well you know this is the 4th of July weekend the doctor said just to apply neosporin and to call back on Monday, I called to schedule an appointment and they got me in on Weds. which was a waste of my time as the doctor said it looked like it was trying to scab over and to call if I had fever or if it smelled - it looks like I have 2 navels.
When I got home I received a letter from my Insurance saying that they had reviewed my hospital visit and would only pay for 2 days - Does anyone have any advice before I file an appeal?
I was prescribed Percocet 5mg-325mg and a muscle relaxer, Chlorzoxazone 500mg, on 7/8/08 I called the Neurosurgeons office and talked to the nurse for a refill on the Percocet, she questioned me on how many I was taking and I told her 2 every 6 hours or 8 a day and sometimes I would take 1 however I felt I was being scolded as she said I should not be taking more than 6 a day and that I should be cutting myself off. I'm afraid their going to cut me off and I have alot of lower back pain especially the more active I become. Am I being a baby? Should I have drastically reduced the pain meds by now?
My sex drive has still not returned , is this normal?