Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

spoulos58sspoulos58 Posts: 5
edited 09/20/2015 - 12:06 AM in Spinal Injections
Hello Everybody,
This is my first post on this site, I am looking for any advice from anyone in or that was in a similar situation.
I am being told that I may need a fusion at L5-S1 and was sent for diagnostic Facet injections to help determine if another fusion might help me.
I was fused at L2-3, L3-4 and L4-5 in 2010 (also fused at T11-12 in 1993 and C5-6,C6-7 in 2008).
I was doing fairly well until the last several months with increasing low back pain, pins and needles/tingling in both legs, increasing weakness in both feet and legs etc. I have constant left ankle, knee and hip sprains, my legs are extremely heavy feeling when climbing stairs and my legs have become very clumsy with tripping over door jams etc. if not careful.
Recent EMG conclusion states evidence of paroxysmal bilateral L5-S1 root involvement and evidence of chronic left - sided L5-S1muscle changes consistent with chronic denervation.
Recent Lumbar MRI at L5-S1 states - minimal posterior bulge is present. Moderate / severe right and mild / moderate left facet arthrosis is detected and no central canal stenosis. Moderate left and mild / moderate right neural foraminal stenosis is identified.
There is edema in the deep posterior paraspinal fascia at the mid and lower lumbar motion segments and dorsal to the upper sacrum.
My Surgeon is possibly recommending another fusion at L5-S1 but sent me for Facet injections first which he says will help him diagnostically and possibly me therapeutically.
I did have the facet injections 10 days ago at which time I had almost 75% low back pain relief and almost a complete disapearence of the intense pins and needles in the legs but the back pain has come back to almost where it was and the pins and needles have been increasing gradually every day.
I have not been back to the surgeon since the injections to discuss the results and provided him with the feedback he was looking for but was hoping that somebody on this site in a similar situation might have some further recommendations for me.
I am not looking forward to the possibility of another fusion since I already have 3 levels fused in my lumbar spine alone but the combination of the back pain 24/7 along with the intense pins and needles in my feet and legs has me at my wits end. It is the increasing leg weakness that scares me the most.
Thank you in advance to anybody out there that could offer some advice or guidance.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    I have never been a candidate for surgery, so I can't speak to that.

But re some of your concerns, you might want to use the ..search..on this site, upper right on page.
    Type in concerns and you may be led to older posts with information, articles, and or videos.
    For example there are older or current posts re fusions.

Hopefully, members relating to fusions will stop by with shared experiences and or you can jump into one of the other threads re fusions or any other concerns.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History