Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unbearable leg pain

RazorRRazor Posts: 1
edited 09/20/2015 - 8:16 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi there, I have been diagnosed with large bulge l5/s1 I am booked in for surgery to rectify this. I have been having associated left leg sciatica, but over the last 35 hours it. Has no become unbearable, to the point I cannot take 5 steps before collapsing in pain. The pain is predominantly in left buttock and outer thigh, but also across left ankle and heel. I have pins and needles and some numbers so left foot. (This is not so new but perhaps more constant now). The only position in slightly comfortable in is laying/slouching on my back. My operation is only in 10 days but I literally cannot go on like this until then. The pain is to the point I'm crying in pain. I have no idea what has caused this sudden massive deteriation. I also am now constipated, albeit I don't feel bad with this. I have not been to the toilet for 4 days, but normally I would go a couple of times a day. I also have pain in my left hip and testicle. I could literally kill myself due to the pain. Does anyone else feel like this?

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi there,

I had exactly the same thing happen to me with my L5/S1 large disc herniation. I too was waiting for surgery last December when almost overnight the pain became unbearable. Mine is in my right leg, I also went numb from the waist and down my right leg. My husband started to take me to the ER in our car. I only got 200 yards down the road when we had to come home, I couldn't bear the pain of the journey. So, we called for an ambulance. I was taken to hospital, seen by a surgeon and then kept in until a theatre space became available. During my stay I was put on very strong pain meds which saw me through the 5 days I had to wait for my surgery.

I would do the same if I were you, there is only so much pain your body can take and this pain is worse than anything. I sympathise with you and wish you all the best. PM me if you would like more info.

All the best and keep us posted
  • BooBoo0505BBooBoo0505 Posts: 2
    edited 09/21/2015 - 4:28 PM
    Hi Razor,

I had awful sciatic nerve pain and spasms so bad I had to be helped off the couch. I started with ice and held it there for ten minutes then I switched to heat and back to ice. I understand the ice numbs the Bain and the heat relaxes the muscles. I also purchased a unit with pads you can put on the back. I put mine on each side of my spine and in the lower back area. The electrical pulses give relief to the sciatic nerve pain.

Take care.
  • Hi Razor,
    I had a very similar experience as you did, however it was my right leg. I had a quite significant sized extruded disc herniation that was crushing my L5 nerve root. I couldn't stand, lie down or sit without being in the most incredible pain in my life. The pain radiated all the way down my right back to my toes. I tried the epidurals, steroid pills, narcotics, pt, etc and nothing helped it just got worse. From the time this started unitl surgery was around 3 months!!! I would definitely speak with your doctor about your situation. After my surgery, the sciatic pain was gone, but I had (and continue to have) nerve damage causing my foot and shin to feel numb all the time. Good news is I have been able to regain a lot of strength and quality of life has increased dramatically. It took around 6 month post op to start feeling this way. You can read all my threads under tfduffy that highlights the journey. Stay with it, swing hard through the painful moments, and stay positive.

Tim Duffy