Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

November 2015 Surgery Buddies

HelenaKHHelenaK Posts: 8
edited 09/20/2015 - 7:31 AM in Surgery Buddies
Is anyone else yet planning on having surgery in November 2015? I have not found another thread yet. Maybe I am fortunate to have time to plan ahead. I will be having a L5/S1 fusion. I am going back to speak with my surgeon on October 2nd and I have a list of questions. First one being what type of surgery will I have. The first appointment I had was kind of a shock, finding out I need surgery. I knew I had pain but no idea how bad the damage was. I've read lots of positive posts about recovery, and some negatives too. The positive stories give me hope.

Please click on link for helpful information
Welcome to Spine-Health
Liz -Spine-health Moderator
Helena
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there! I too am having an l5s1 fusion, only mine is happening in October! Did you have a discogram? Also did you discuss the option of having a disc replacement?
    Nomes89
  • Having l5/s1 in October. Please join us on October surgery buddies thread until November buddies join you. Wishing you healing.
    Happy
  • In Early November I hope. I've been dickering around with this for one year now, and in the last 2 weeks deteriorated so much that I am not able to walk much any more. Really looking forward to it. After 5 Neuro consults I finally found a surgeon I'm almost comfortable with.
  • Hi! I am so happy to have a buddy. Thank you for joining......but I am sorry you have to have surgery.

I went to the surgeon yesterday for a Q&A because this is the first time I have ever had any kind of surgery. I feel very lucky with the neurosurgeon I was referred to. Confirmed L5/S1 fusion, ALIF, second week in November. I hope to know the actual date in the next week or so pending insurance approval and surgeon schedule. I feel a little relived to actually have a direction and some details on what will happen to me. I'm still very scared. There is so much to do to prep for surgery. I am fortunate to have a great support system with family and friends.
    Helena
  • RunnerHKTRRunnerHKT Posts: 230
    edited 10/04/2015 - 3:39 AM
    I don't go back to the surgeon until October 20, but he called me the other day to start putting me on the schedule as my MRI looks worse than in the past. My biggest issue is that I am the Infection prevention nurse for the Neurosurgical line at my hospital so I see all the problems that can occur so I am probably more alarmed than I need to do, since they ALL know me and will do everything 100% perfect since they will have to see me again and again and again no matter what! But I'm still trying to control everything, like who the other surgeon will be, which case time I get, it's nuts. I started the shopping today getting ready for surgery. i had a discectomy in February that actually went pretty well, but this seems bigger! There is a lot to do and silly things that keep popping into my head, like...putting those non slip stickers into the shower!!! I'm definitely ready for it to be OVER.
  • My 12-year-old daughter is having a spinal fusion 4 Nov 2015 to correct her scoliosis. I just joined the forum for her to have a surgery buddy; lots of good information on the forum as well. I pray everyone’s surgery goes well.
    The Little Lady
  • Oh Little Lady, I think my surgery is going to be the same exact date! I would be happy to be her buddy...I myself am starting to get a bit nervous, but also really impatient, since I am having a significant amount of pain and weakness...I can't wait to see how I'll be after surgery! Let me know if there would be an address where maybe I can send her some get well post cards.
  • Hey, looking for a November surgery buddy! I've been reading these forums for approximately 2 years. I finally committed to having my surgery November 5th. I am scared and anxious to say the least. I have gotten a lot of great information here. I have been trying to absorb it all but it is like they say. No two surgeries, no two people's outcomes will ever be identical. I am having L4-5 decompression with L5-S1 fusion.
    Nancy
    "Coming in November 2015"
    L3-4-5 decompression & L5-S1 fusion
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,941
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Momto3MMomto3 Posts: 3
    edited 10/10/2015 - 5:10 PM
    I have a surgery date of 11/3. I am getting C4/5 &C5/6 fused. I see most of you are lower backs. Any other cervical? :-)
    I have had pain since 2/14. I am ready to have this done, but getting very nervous for the surgery and recovery.

Please look at all the forums. There are so many patients with cervical problems/surgeries. Just use the search facility and type in Cervical, you will find scores of pages both articles, and threads

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator
  • Momto3 I'm having the same surgery as you. Had a discectomy in February 2015 and was ok for a while, but with a pars fracture and active lifestyle, I soon had to accept that the only way out of pain was to have the fusion. I am also terrified. My "grabber" came in the mail today and now I feel official - older and more broken...

Looks like we are going to have a nice November bunch!
  • HelenaK,
    My surgery is set for 11/5. When is yours? I don't care how much I read or research I am so scared. I am ready for it to be over and past the recovery stage. Each day that it gets closer I want to just change my mind and not do it but then the pain kicks in and those thoughts go out the window.

Momto3,
    We will be just a couple of days apart. Keep posting on how you are doing after surgery and I will do the same.

I fell thru a ceiling when I was in my 20's and cracked my pelvis bone. I didn't know it 'til later in life. I started having problems about 10 years ago to the point that I knew I needed help. I tried chiropractor care for 10 years, therapy and then narcotics - nothing worked. I have had a lot of injections and a few actually worked for a while. The last nine have not given me much, if any relief. My doctor finally said that's it, you need to have surgery. So this is the point I am at now.
    Nancy
  • I'm 35 years old and I've had worsening back pain for about 15 years. I've had 3 neurosurgeons in the past year say surgery is definite, but only 1 that will actually do it. I believe the other's are cautious because of my age. The surgeon I have now is more concerned about my quality of life. I don't want to be 60 or 70 years old and have missed my life because of being in pain. So I have scheduled ALIF of L4-L5 for November 16. It's been a long time coming, but the pain is constant and unbearable at times. On my good days I think to myself, "I'll postpone it, I'm feeling great" and on those bad days, "I can't wait to be done with surgery and recovering and out of pain!!!" Thankfully I have a great support group of family and friends. I have no idea what to expect after surgery for at home care. I will have my mom, help as much as she can. I keep having dreams of the surgery and the surgeon and at the end of each dream, everything works out fine. I hope this is an indication of what's to come! :)
    edited 10/12/2015 - 11:45 AM
    Oh my bad. I'm having the same surgery as NNantz. Are you having an anterior or posterior approach? I'm supposedly having anterior- better chance for fusion he says. However, I won't know until Wednesday. nervous!
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• NNantzNNNantz Posts: 16
    edited 10/13/2015 - 2:46 AM
    RunnerHKT, I won't know which approach 'til my next appointment on the 28th. I am the same way....very anxious. Also, I think that we are all in the same boat. We want it done and over with. I have days when I want to postpone it as well. It is life changing for sure!
    Nancy
    edited 10/13/2015 - 12:29 PM
    I got my date today 11/4. If he would do it tomorrow, I'd let him, the pain is just too much!
  • Hey guys, I had a microdiscentomy on L5 S1 in April and it did nothing for my leg and butt pain. They now see that I need fusion as the disc is severely compressed. Needless to say I am also terrified like you guys. But to give you all hope, a lot of people who post bad comments follow up a few weeks or months later saying they have gotten better. I would be honored to be your surgery buddy and hope we can inspire each other to be positive. As this is half the battle.

Will keep you posted, Maria
  • So now I'm 20 days away from surgery, and I find I can not concentrate on anything but the surgery. Anyone else incredibly distracted? I have so much to do at work since I'll be off for a bit, but yet, I find I'm not motivated to start it..... :/
  • Was notified a couple of days ago that my scheduled date is Friday November 13th...my dad was born on Friday November 13th and he swore by it as a lucky date! Having a two level ALIF/PLIF for L4-S1, L5 has pars fractures and has wondered 17mm forward with little to no disc left. Waiting on the dates for pre-op, labs, etc. plus they require a general surgeon to be on hand with the first part (ALIF) since they go through the abdomen so I have to meet and greet with him. Honestly, scared to death, but hopefully this begins to eliminate that nerve pain and dead foot issue that has started to rear its ugly head.
  • NNantzNNNantz Posts: 16
    edited 10/16/2015 - 12:52 AM
    We are getting a lot of surgery buddies for November. I am constantly thinking about my surgery. I also have a lot to do at work like training the person that will fill in for me. That's hard for me!

It will be a cooler time to walk outdoors and not so hot to sit in the sun and absorb some much needed vitamin D.

Patience
    Nancy
  • If I haven't said it yet.....THANK YOU RunnerHKT, The Little Lady, NNantz, Momto3, Sweetbug79, Kkuylen, and Rechinca for becoming my surgery buddies! And a special thank you to Nomes89 and 2dgs4cmpany for welcoming me into the October group before I had a November group. I wanted to write a little note to each of you, but I am just so thankful to have people to share this experience with and hope we get to know each other better. I am so thankful for finding the Spine-Health site. There has been so much useful information from what happens during surgery, ideas of what to bring to the hospital or have at home post-op, what post-op may look/feel like, tips and tricks, dealing with meds....the list goes on and on. I have literally spent hours on this site over the last few weeks.

Congratulations to all who have received your surgery date. I am sure there is some relief in sight for you. I am still waiting for the insurance company to approve my procedure. To anyone who sees my MRI it is a no-brainer that I need a fusion. I wish I understood insurance companies better. I have had so many troubles with mine lately, not in regard to this surgery that I know of (yet) so I guess it is just par for the course. We have all - and by that I mean the family/support system, my employer, even the doctor - planned for my surgery to be the second week of November. That was based on the "typical" turn around times for approval and scheduling that they gave me. I found out I would need surgery 35 days ago and now we are only three weeks away and I am still waiting. Every day I hope that the phone is going to ring with my news of a date. Have any of you had trouble with your insurance companies? How long did it take to get your surgery scheduled? In the past my insurance has approved procedures so quickly. This delay is making me nervous.

Best wishes to all of you/us. I am looking forward to keeping up to date with all of you during this experience. For many of you this isn't your first time under the knife so I am looking forward to gaining some knowledge from you on how you manage.

And a special mention to The Little Lady..... I hope your daughter is doing well. I couldn't imagine being that young and going through this.

Have a great day/weekend all. And thank you Spine-Health for moderating these forums.

Helena
  • Can I squeeze in, please? I just don't want to feel alone. My date is Dec. 1. I have a failed fusion and they are going back in to do a double surgery. I'd just like to know others are out that care.
  • Hi everyone!
    I'm Kathryn, a 46 year old wife, mom, Mimi, and personal trainer. I'll be having a 2 level ACDF on November 10. Though I'm naturally a bit nervous, I'm also anxious to join the 95-98% success statistics! I have pretty severe cord compression (myelopathy), nerve root compression, and radiculopathy....... so I've been in a lot of pain for several months, slowly losing the ability to do things that make my life more enjoyable. I'm R side dominant and, unfortunately, this is also the side that most of my pain/weakness is on. Over the past couple of months, I've experienced pretty significant atrophy in my R tricep, despite the fact that I've continued to workout. (Not as much, often, or heavy.... but I have worked out). So anyway, I just wanted to join this thread and say hello to everyone. Let's all stay positive about our upcoming surgeries. I keep reminding myself of the power of a positive attitude!
    Best,
    Kathryn

2 level ACDF C5-C6, C6-C7 scheduled for November 10, 2015
  • We really are getting a nice bunch. I sure hope everyone has massive success!!!! Today my new worry was suddenly the realization that this is going to hurt! My discectomy was a fairly easy procedure and I really never felt much pain after it...but this...Anterior fusion with posterior screws.... I have never had an abdominal incision, I think they do in actuality hurt, right? EEEK!
  • Quick hello to join the buddy group. To introduce myself, I'm John. I'm a 51yo man, 5'10", 185, with a background in weightlifting. I have spondylolisthesis at L5-S1, diagnosed 6 years ago. I have total numbness and tingling left leg/foot when standing or walking; continous hip pain from the nerve, tightness/spasms in my low back. I've had epidural cortisone, pain meds and muscle relaxers for a few years. I found two Neurosurgeons in New York to preform a PLIF scheduled for November 11, 2015.
    Spodylolisthesis L5-S1
    PILF w/BMP Cage/Screws/Rods
    November 2015
  • I have a surgery date of November 18th. This will be my 2nd cervical fusion this year. That doesn't make it any easier though. I am just as nervous this time as I was the last. I wish I knew about this group back in February when I had my last discectomy and fusion. I have an appt. with my surgeon on Nov. 3rd for my pre-admission testing. I also have more questions for him regarding my surgery since he will be going in the front and the back of my neck this time. Last time it was just the front. Would love to have a surgery buddy.
  • Hi all.

Count me in. I am having my acdf c5-c6 surgery on November 12th. So that gives me 3 weeks and 2 days to panic....I mean prepare. Going to pre-op later today.
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator

• Welcome Jopaba, Katz, Maxine, Debbie, Lwood. Lots of people scheduled this month. I go for my MRI, Doctor consultation and pre-op on 10/28. Everything is getting so close. Trying to get everything situated at work so that the transition will be easy for all. Hope that I am not out the 2 to 3 months that my doctor suggested!
    Nancy
advertisement