Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Balance and Foot Drop

I had a lamintectomy surgery on l4 and l5 several months ago. I noticed a minor foot drop prior to my surgery, but after surgery my foot drop has gotten worse.. I also developed a severe balancing problem, whereas I can't stand perfectly still for more that a minute. I have no back pain and that it's a blessing, however I have developed these other issues I believe related to the surgery. Is there anyone that had a similar experience? Thank you.

• Jill55JJill55 Posts: 101
    edited 09/20/2015 - 9:36 PM
    Hi I really sympathise with you regarding the foot drop and balance issues. I had these before my L5 S1 fusion in late April this year and continue to have severe balance issues. The foot drop has improved greatly. I can not comment as to whether yours is connected to your surgery. I am having increasingly bad balance issues especially when I am tired and also climbing the stairs. I have had quite a few near misses where I have almost fallen backwards down the stairs from the top where there is a twist. It is very unnerving. Part of me thinks maybe I should go back to using the stairlift but the other part doesn't want me to loose the strength I have gained in my legs. Carrying anything up the stairs is also an issue. Just standing still I can suddenly feel myself falling backwards I always feel I have to explain myself as to me I feel I must look like I'm drunk. I've spoken to my G.P. but she didn't have a clue. She couldn't understand why I still needed to walk with a stick. I am still waiting to see my consultant for a post op appointment. I'm looking for answers too!
  • strummin365sstrummin365 CaliforniaPosts: 1
    Hello. Just saw your post. I had 4 herniated discs in 2010 and got a discectomy on L4 and L5 and dealt with cauda equina syndrome. I've suffered from foot drop and balance issues ever since. I am hopeful it is never too late for at least partial recovery and my short term plan is to learn appropriate exercises to strengthen the muscles around the peroneal nerve. Good luck and stay positive.