Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger point injections

cla_guaccla_gua Posts: 186
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
I am getting trigger point injections on Friday. I am really stressed. Has anyone had good reactions to them? Will I be sore afterwards? Any pointers, experiences or suggestions appreciated.

• I've had them done numerous times for my shoulders. I loved the relief they gave me. I feel pressure and sometimes a bit of a burn, but relief would come. Once in a while the relief would show up later the next day, depended I guess on where he was shooting--so to speak. It's my first choice for pain relief under my blades.

hope this helps..

take care,

• hello, don't get stressed, the shots are not bad,it will be sore where they put the needle. i've had numerous trigger points. they help me, and alot of others on this site have had luck with them. let me know how you make out. michelle
  • If you've read any of my posts, you'll know ESI didn't work for me since I am 5-weeks post op from ACDF. However, I had one done between c6-c7, little soar afterwards, but by the next afternoon, almost like nothing was even done, and back to work within 24-hours just like I was before.

I have had some people tell me just one worked wonders for them... My district manager at work had real bad pain in his arm and neck, disc bulge, had the first of his three, he's perfect now, and he is in his late 50's/early 60's.

My father-in-law, has long-term lumbar problems... Again, first of three worked wonders on him, been three-years now, and he is still doing good.

Like you, I was all worked up, worrying, but they wheeled me into the room, feel right a sleep, and than woke-up. Again, we are all different, and our bodies very different, but many people get great relief from injections.

Hopefully you get relief, best of luck, and stay positive, it can really help.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    As everyone is saying there is really nothing to worry about with these injections. However there is one thing you should keep in mind. After the injection is done, you should ice the area for at least 15 minutes before leaving the doctors office. That will greatly reduce the chances of additional swelling or pain later.

The actual procedure is pretty simple

1- They will spray the target area with some freezing agent
    2- Then they will inject you with a lidocaine type solution
    3- Done
    4- Ice it

I have had about 2 dozen Trigger point injections over the years and in so many different spots. The times that I had some discomfort were the times when the doctor did not ice the area after the injection.

Remember each doctor may have a slightly different procedure in performing this, but the overall method and objective are the same. What they hope to achieve is to calm down the target area enough to let the healing process to start.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Yup, you will be sore unless the doctor puts something else in there, which I think he did last time because I was loopy when I left lol! But when he injected one of them on my neck I burst into tears, it was very painful...In all of my experiences, they have hurt but the pain is worth the gain as they seem to help me for about 2 weeks but a lot of people have better luck with them and it helps them longer! Good luck!
  • Thank you all for your experiences. My appointment is on Friday at 4:00 in the afternoon. My doctor said he is going to sedate me alittle. I am hoping I get some muscle relief. Thank you all again,
  • I didn't get the trigger point injections after all. My PM Dr said that my improvement since the last time I've seen him was really good and if I could put it off for later and see if I need them. He looked at my MRI and said the MRI was read wrong. I have some minimal bulges and that one of my disc was torn in July 07. But the new MRI showed that the disc had healed, it was taken in April 08. I don't understand one bit. My first ortho, who is one of the best Orthos in San Antonio, said I had a large bulge at c5-6 and two small or minimal bulges at c6-7 and c7-t1. He also said I would most likly need surgery in 10 yrs. So now I went to a new PM DR and he said that the MRI was cut into too many slices and there is no way I have a large bulge because the bulge is shown to be on top of the bone and that is impossible for a bulge to be there. I don't know what to think anymore.

I also forgot my PM Dr said there was a tear at c6-7 in July of 07 and now the new MRI showed it healed. No one else has said anything about that.

I am feeling better than before. I guess that is what is important. Thank you all for your support during this past year and your knowledge.