Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Unsuccessful Discectomy

ak_lovejoiaak_lovejoi AlaskaPosts: 11
edited 09/22/2015 - 12:23 PM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In January 2013 I had my first MRI revealing an L5-S1 bulge, minor L4-L5 bulge, stenosis and arthritis (mainly on facets) because I was experiencing strange sensations down my left leg and severe back pain. I followed up with physical therapy, which was unsuccessful due to chronic pain and inflammation. The next step was facet injections followed up with PT, which was unsuccessful, so I followed up with another facet injection. When I accepted these methods of treatment weren't working, I quit seeing the doctors and just walked; I lost 35 pounds and found some relief August 2013- August 2014. The pain came back full force last August, however I was traveling and unable to see a doctor until January 2015. In March, I had another MRI followed up with a visit to the neurosurgeon, the way my bulging disc settled against my sciatic nerve was nearly debilitating, so they performed a discectomy March 24th. I had relief for approximately three months before I realized something was terribly wrong, as I was enduring more pain and different sensations down both legs, than ever before. Another MRI this month revealed a recurrent disc- the discectomy was unsuccessful. I will follow up with the neurosurgeon the 30th. I am finding several things very challenging- mostly my state of being- I am not accepting of my restrictions. I have always been able to provide for myself by working, and am unable to work at this time- it's killing me! I have a very supportive boyfriend, but my family hasn't been supportive or understanding at all. I'm wondering what comes next? More surgery? How long will I feel so helpless? I'm thankful for life; other than breathing and being alive, I'm terribly miserable. I'm in therapy for the emotional support and to learn coping skills. I'm tired of pain, tired of crying, tired of the sadness and anger (outrage).

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • ValineVValine Posts: 4
    edited 09/22/2015 - 10:26 PM
    You are making me reconsider, lol. I work in medical too, typically. I used to be in the OR during surgery, so I actually know what the risks are, but the pain... and I'm just so tired of all the pills. I'm getting tired of PT even, lol. The Drs appts, the referrals, the tests, the paperwork, the repeat scans, etc. And the myelogram... that one about did me in. I can only imagine what surgery feels like, post-op. Aside from that, once you get down into the L5/S1 region, you're getting into some very sensitive areas. If anything goes awry intra-op, it can be devastating.

Then again, I want my life back. My neurologist is at his wits end with me. My pain MD and his PA are about done with me and pushing toward surgery. I'm getting ready for my 7th injection since March. It will be the last one and only round was non-steroidal (botox in my piriformis). My PT is beginning to agree as well. I'm trying out an NSAID patch and I'll try Neurontin/Gabapentin, but my expectations aren't high. Dreading the last injection Tuesday, but you never know, right?

So, are you going to get an opinion from ortho as well? And I'm curious how large your original bulge was? Were your scans done with and without contrast? Did you have to do a myelogram? Did they consider your bulge a bulge or an actual herniation? Sorry for all the Qs.

Hoping your consult goes well and that you're getting some kind of relief in the meantime...

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • Not sure what you mean by recurrent disc? I assume you had a fusion and the graft did not take. If so, that requires more surgery.
  • Valine, I don't even know half of the terms you've used here, ha! I have not had a scan with contrast, nor have I had myelogram, is that what they inject the disc space with fluid or air to inflate it? I also am not sure the measurements of the disc bulge. I will send a message of my pre and post scans.
    Kay, the recurrent disc means that the disc wasn't strong or tough enough to hold place after the discectomy- what disc was left reherniated.

The follow up with the neurosurgeon did not go as imagined, he was very impersonal. He offered epidural steroid injections or a second surgery as my options. On the plus side, I was approved for Medicaid and am going to meet with a spine surgeon in a different facility for a second opinion. The pain is getting significantly worse by the day. I've gone through most off this ordeal narcotic free, however, at this point, I'd be an invalid without the psi relief. The emotional part is killing me and I feel extremely helpless. I'm not a sappy person, this is taking so much away from who I am. I'm going to try to keep treatment as conventional as possible, but this pain is going to ruin my life. I don't even want to be around family or friends because I'm always on the brink of crying and feel I'm just poor company. Then I'm down on myself for acting all "poor me", I tell myself to "buck up", it doesn't help. I have to ask for help for everything, I feel like I need a babysitter- it's sickening to me, I was an avid hunter and carried moose quarters a mile out of the woods!! I can't even carry a load of laundry now. I'm so sad and angry.

• ". The emotional part is killing me and I feel extremely helpless. I'm not a sappy person, this is taking so much away from who I am. I'm going to try to keep treatment as conventional as possible, but this pain is going to ruin my life. I don't even want to be around family or friends because I'm always on the brink of crying and feel I'm just poor company. "

I was always a social flower but now I'm a right grumpy old mare!!!!!!!
    Kirsti x