Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help I'm freaking out

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
OMG! Are these signs or what? I'm having a two level Acdf done this Thursday. My husbands cell phone and gps died. My house phone died but found a way to get it back up and running. I come home today and my central air is broke in my house. The new dog my son brought home ate my favorite pair of shoes. I have to quit smoking! I feel totally unprepard for the surgery and keep thinking these are all signs that nothing is going to go right this week. Now I feel like I'm going to die and not too prepared for that one either. I guess I need to take my meds which I hate to do and go to bed. Sorry I just needed to vent because I don't think I have ever been so afraid before. Maryann

• Good luck with your surgury,its normal to be nervous before surgury,i will say a prayer for you....
  • Holy cow, you've had a bad day!

I understand how afraid you are, but please know that this is normal. Spine surgery is a big deal, and if you weren't nervous, you would be the exception.

Do you have faith in your surgeon? Have you checked out his credentials and asked him all of your questions and gotten acceptable answers? Have you checked out the facility where your surgery will be performed?

I think sometimes it is easy to freak ourselves out with too much information. This procedure is performed over and over again throughout the world. I'm not going to say it is routine, because spine surgery should always be taken seriously. But the surgeons are highly skilled and confident in their abilities to do this surgery. They choose a great surgical team to assist them, and they will all be working together to take care of you. Medical science has made leaps and bounds in technology, making these procedures safer and easier to perform than ever before. You will not only have your surgeon working on you, but probably an assisting doctor, an anesthetist, several nurses, possibly a neurological monitoring team.

Maybe all these things going wrong are happening now, so that they will all be working properly during your recovery. Get it all done and over with now so you don't have to deal with it later.

I'm sorry for your anxiety about this, and I can totally relate. Just wanted to try to give you some reassurances that the doctors will be there doing everything they can to take care of you.

Get some sleep tonight. Maybe tomorrow will be a brighter day. Good luck.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Vent all you want! It is scary to be facing what you are, but you will do great. Just think, everything is going wrong now so it can be right on Thursday! Go buy a new pair of favorite shoes tomorrow and plan on wearing them. You're gonna do great and feel good once and for all.

take care,

• You have a lot on your broken plate! I will send some prayers up to the big Guy for you. Get some rest and like Tenkids said, go buy another pair of favorite shoes! You have come to the right place for support so vent all you want.

Take care
  • I say...just choke it up to a bad day! Today is a new and fresh one. Good Luck with your surgery, I will send positive thoughts your way!
  • Wow! so many words of wisdom here and love :) I never thought of everything breaking before the surgery so I don't have to deal with it after. Great thoughts and makes me feel so much better. I now feel like today is going to be brighter and maybe a better day. I have total faith in my NS and the hospital. Have researched this over and over and actually watched the surgery on a video. I am not screemish as I work with blood everyday being in the medical field myself. Think I was like everyone said having a bad day with everything going wrong and relating it to my surgery coming up. Thanks to everyone! I am so happy I found this site, it has been my savior. Love ya all, Maryann
  • I wore black flats with polka dots to the spine hopital. Very stylish... I will say a special prayer for you that your surgery will go well and relief will be found.
  • I just seems like things are coming down all at once, it's the pre-jitters!!!! Can you get some Valium or anti-axiety pill? Good luck to ya it will all work out~

• eek Maryann :jawdrop:

I was a paranoid nutcase before my 1st surgery.
    Lots of little things happened the previous day that had me reeling.
    I just about walked out and cancelled the surgery.
    For sure, it felt like I was not mentally or emotionally ready to have surgery like I wanted to be.
    Everything in me told me to walk out.

Finally, in pre-op with the I.V. in my arm, I said "Oh well, here we go.....I'm going to let the doctors do their thing and just hope for the best".

It all turned out OK afterward. :)

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Look at it this way...

Things can only get better and the first thing you are going to fix is your spine! Then you can work on fixing the rest of it.

Nerves are totally normal! Good luck with your surgery!
  • Hey it's totally normal to freak out before surgery. And it's also normal to look for bad omens in everything that goes wrong! Good philosophy about things breaking before hand, I like that :)

You will be fine honey, just stay focused on how much benefit you will get after you have recovered from this surgery. You will be fine! Good luck and keep in touch, Spicey
  • I remember about 1 week before surgery, suddenly it seemed I wasn't having my sciatica excrutiating pain anymore, questioning myself on if I REALLY need my 3 level fusion. It's pretty scarey, keeps you awake, high anxioty, but I thought, well maybe I don't need it. Guess what I did? I had a copy of my MRI, and written MRI report. I looked at that and positively knew thats what needed to be done! ;) But then about 4 weeks post-op, I was CRYING in EXCRUTIATING pain, again, wondering NOW WHY DID I DO THIS?

It's ganna be major, and painful I'm not going to lie. But it will all be oh-tay. I'm 23 weeks post now, still in pain, but sore muscle pain from not using them for 23 weeks, not from my instrumentation. And I just know (and said a few prayers) that I'm going to be just fine. :) Good luck, and God watch over you & protect you.
  • What a nightmare!

I can't help but agree - it's good it all happened pre-surgery instead of post!

I'm glad I'm not the only one freaking out here!
  • I know exactly how you feel. I left last Wed. to go for my "marking" appointment for Thursday's surgery and realized as I drove down the road I had a flat tire. I also found out minutes later that the girl hired to fill my position at work is quitting already. I just knew these things meant I should not have the surgery. But I did and here I am a week later doing fairly well. If it is meant to be it will happen.

I hope everything goes well for you and that you recover quickly.
  • I'm so sorry you are freaking out, but you wouldn't be normal I don't think if you weren't freaking out! Surgery is a scarey thing but like you said you have complete faith in your NS which is awesome. So let him do his magic on you and my prayers are with you. We'll see you on the other side of recovery!

Godspeed... Pebbles
  • On my way to hospital my key broke in the lock at home, but surgery went great!
    make of that what you will!