Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oldcrone68ooldcrone68 Posts: 1
edited 09/22/2015 - 10:44 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I was told today about surgery to fuse my c5 and c6. When the surgeon described to me the process or what would be done and how... I almost started crying.

There are so many things that can happen and go wrong. I know it's stupid to freak out like this but my family doesn't seem to recover from surgery well. Irrational ? YES, yet I can't get this image out of my head of me looking a bit like Frankenstein's monster.

He told me they would.... cut the side of my neck, move "everything out of the way" to gain access. Then they would remove the 2 herniated discs, replace at least one of them with one from a cadavar, and then place a steel plate in place with a couple steel screws.

I'm 47 , and I'm seriously freaking out! I don't want to say anything to my son. He doesn't need this kind of thing on his mind. He's just starting out his life. I don't really have anyone else to talk to about this. No one that I trust anyway.
I know I'm just being stupid and working myself up for nothing, but it just doesn't feel like nothing to me.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    Cervical surgery, especially the ACDF has become such a common procedure.

Overall, if you read the forums here, you will see so many people with good success with ACDF surgeries.

Please take a look at:
    ACDF Surgery

ACDF Video

I have had multiple ACDFs. I am fused C4/C5/C6/C7 with titanium plates and screws. Last time was in 2000. The only real restriction I have is with my range of motion. (side to side), which makes it a bit harder to drive. Other than that, my neck has been fine.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 552
    I had c4-5 fused in 2013. I can honestly say that was my easiest surgery to recover from. I had very minimal surgery pain. Actually, my throat hurt worse than my incision? They gave me throat spray to help that. It mainly felt like a bad sore throat. It lasted just a few days.
    I had to stay one night in hospital. I was up walking the halls within hours of surgery.
    I don't want you to think this surgery is a breeze, and everyone's experience is different, but for me, it really wasn't that bad.
    Do you have a surgery date yet? Good luck to you & keep us posted.
    Just make sure you follow all the restrictions that your doctor gives you after surgery.
  • SukhreSSukhre San Diego, CAPosts: 181
    edited 09/28/2015 - 2:19 PM
    Sorry its supposed to be your thread. My situation is simlar here it goes:
    I have severe stenosis & nerve damages C4-C7. I have a 13 year old daughter. No family around. The surgeons are asking me to do the surgery and neurologists feel I can wait. I am just worried with no families around how do I cope. If something bad happens who is going to care for me or my daughter,.
    MRI shows C4-C7 severe steonosis. Pain in hand.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    How are feeling about the surgery
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 485
    Maybe I've been posting wrongly myself, but I thought if you had some similar experience in past/present/or currently seeking help, or just emphatically trying to help someone, one could participate in post. If I'm wrong please correct me.

If I wouldn't of had my Mom to stay with me a short while after surgery, I would of had to reach out to others, even if I had to call someone else I knew that was close in their own church community. And when it's you and a child to help care for, having a backup person in place if the one helping gets ill, is good to have. But I know how hard it is to ask for help, but I also know there are lots of people out there that would love to help if given a chance.

I had a coworker that had cervical fusions, that she had done many years ago, and if she wouldn't have told me I wouldn't have known. Neither by scar or her movements.

Hope things go well.....
  • kulpagrubichkkulpagrubich Posts: 1
    edited 10/01/2015 - 11:00 PM
    Your fear is not stupid, anyone who is undergoing a surgical procedure may be afraid because they don't know what to expect and it could sound scary. Do you trust your surgeon? A second opinion is always an option and so is another doctor with a good record of having done these procedures. I just had an ablation done with 3 needles in my neck but I was confident in my doctor's abilities and I felt virtually no pain. I wish you the best on your health and hope you find comfort from the procedure. And you SHOULD talk to your family - they should understand what you will be going through as you will need support and help afterwards - you may be an outpatient but someone will still need to be there for you. Best to you!

Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    ~ spine-health moderator, savage
  • I had an ACDF at C4-5 in 2000. If your family has problems with surgery, make sure to let the anesthesiologist know prior to surgery. It may not be just the surgery itself.

Also, I agree second opinions never hurt. Most of my surgeons have been around my dad's age. If they don't treat me like they'd want their daughter treated, they sure as heck aren't operating on me. I've walked out of doctor's offices where I don't feel respected.

You and your surgeon are a team. If it doesn't feel that way, it may be helpful to look elsewhere.

And, last, freaking out is normal. :)