Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mindfulness training?

I know that I am not the only one here who has developed depression and an anxiety disorder in addition to and largely as a result of being in pain for years on end. I see a psychologist weekly. I don't find it all that useful to be honest, but I go because my prescribing doctor wants me to and, well, I do what he says.

At my last appointment, my psych gave me a flyer for a 4-week Mindfulness Training course offered through her practice for folks dealing with depression, anxiety and chronic medical conditions. It is based on work by Jon Kabatt-Zinn.

Has anyone had experience with this type of thing? If so, did the experience help you manage your pain or co-existing pysch issues any better?

The cost of the program would be out-of-pocket for me. It isn't terribly expensive, but I don't have money to burn.

• PlumbTuckeredOutPlumbTuckeredOut Philadelphia, PAPosts: 325
    edited 09/25/2015 - 10:03 AM
    I'm trying to think of when I started to practice mindfulness. I think it's probably more than 25 years ago and I still practice by the minute. I've taught yoga with a strong foundation of mindfulness. You'll see that many of my posts on this forum are based on mindfulness. This practice has changed my life and continues to do so.

I'd have to admit that I initially was very bad at it but it's called "practice" for a reason. Some people who have not really learned the basics focus on breath and breathing in and breathing out. This is only one way, the first way people learn mindfulness. I use it in my every moment. Looking around to give you and example I can see my walking stick. I can say, "I see my walking stick." Boom. Information given. Job done. But there is a long story of this walking stick and if I mindfully consider the walking stick I can remember the occasion I bought it on. I remember where it is from, who was with me when it arrived..... I can also observe the walking stick as an object and color, texture, heft, craft. Again I can look at the walking stick as a necessity brought about by pain OR I can look at the strength that this former piece of wood brings me.

Mindfulness is the act of looking, feeling, touching, considering.... it is the act of experiencing all things from all directions. This morning I awoke in severe pain. I didn't want to move BUT I mindfully considered the pain. I had been carrying a handicapped dog for over a week. I had been 2 hours late for my meds. I had been using less of my break-through meds. So, I mindfully reassessed my pain. Considering what I had done I was not in extra pain. It was pain I had worked for! I had a way of making it go away but I could also hold it as a trophy that I had been able to accomplish much despite pain.

So, you may guess, I love mindfulness and the practice of it. Aside from pain I had severe OCD. New treatment for OCD has been mindfulness but I have been using it long before many others have gotten aboard. Mindfulness isn't something you use competitively. It is a private peace. It is finding that internal relief that seems so fleeting in real life. It's knowing that breathing in and breathing out is so simple and so complex all at once.

Mindfulness is knowing that many times I hit "safe" on this forum and my posts disappear into no where- and being okay with not knowing which will happen now...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by...... (Robert Frost)
    I still don't know if I should have taken the one that said, "Caution! Dead End" (Me)