Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Got my life back with the Dynesys Stablization procedure

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,670
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello, I just wanted to share my positive experience with my recent back surgery and the Dynesys Stablization hardware. I had severe Spondylolisthesis and Spinal Stenosis, along with a Synovial cyst, all in the lower lumbar at L4 and L5. I had reached the point where I could barely walk or stand. Months of physical therapy and treatment with steroid epidural injections did nothing to alleviate the pain. My doctor felt I was a good candidate for the Dynesys Stablization hardware. He said the surgery was less invasive, the hardware allowed for more flexiblity, quicker recovery (no bone graft), and if it failed, conventional fusion would still be an option. I had the surgery in the early morning of May 2. By the following morning, I was up walking, pain free (except the local incision site pain, which was very manageble), was able to walk up and down a flight of stairs without assistance and without any pain. Unbelieveable! They let me leave the hospital the same afternoon. Before the end of the week, I was driving and back to work. 3 weeks ago the Dr. gave me the all clear to go back to my normal activities. My orthopaedic surgeon, Dr. Huffman in Napa, CA, was a life-saver. He is incredibly skilled, and he made the right call with the Dynesys hardware. I feel like I have a new lease on life. I'd say that at this point, just 2 1/2 months later, my recovery is at 100%. So, if you are giving this procedure consideration, I just wanted to let you know there have been really positive results, and that I would certainly recommend it, I'd absolutely do it again.

• That's a great recovery and success story, Shelly. Please consider following up and posting about your progress here every few months - I am sure that many people here are interested in the Dynesys system.
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• Hi Shelly. Thanks so much for sharing! It's great to finally hear a successful surgery. Wished I lived in CA.!

I'm also facing another fusion. I'm trying to see a surgeon this time that will do it mimimally invasive.
  • Anorman--good luck with your fusion. I hope you have a successful surgery, and can find a doctor who can perform the minimally invasive fusion. Is the Dynesis Stablilization procedure an option for you? If so, I hope you can give it a try. When I read on the blogs the many, many stories of the problems, pain and suffering people are experiencing, I feel so lucky and blessed that my surgery was successful. I wish the same for you....
  • Hi Bruce,

Just finished reading your Spine Story....Wow!, to you! Sounds as though you are doing really well, and that is great to hear.

You mentioned that at the site of your fusion, one pedicle screw had moved due to vertebrae fracturing, and you had it removed. Do you know if that is a common occurence? I've read it to be the cause of pain for some, and just wondered if it happens more than I realize? After they removed the screw, did you have any hardware put in place of it, or was any new fusion necessary?

Hope you have continued success and stay pain free!
  • The dynesys is only indicated for grade I spondylolisthesis not severe spondylolisthesis. A surgeon would not implant the dynesys in severe spondylolisthesis. Are you sure that your spondy wasn’t grade I? The pain from the screws being drilled into my vertebrae took atleast 3 weeks to heal if not more and I’ve talked to dozens of dynesys implantees and not a one was pain free a week later so you had an unbelievable recovery. Everyone one of them had a much more gradual decrease in pain and many of the patients failed and ended up having fusions or dynesys removal. In fact if you reference the studies that show graphs with average pain scores, all the test participants were well beyond one week before the average study pain scores began to improve.

Dr. Aaron Filler is a prominent Neurosurgeon who wrote this article http://blog.oup.com/2007/01/is_there_an_eth/ The hardware that is referenced in the opposing studies is the dynesys.

• This is impressive. I am 20 weeks post-op from a two level Dynesys with bone auto grating at just one level. It has not been as easy of a recovery for me. I am doing well but not as well as I was hoping for at this point. I still have not even returned to work and continue my PT. Glad to hear you are having such great results! Please stop in from time to time and let us know how you progress.

• I saw your private message to me, suggesting that I was a device rep for dynesys. I guess the enthusiasm I have for my successful outcome was mistaken for something else. I consider myself extremely lucky to have had such a great outcome, as I know that many pain sufferers do not. It has now been 9 months, and I am still doing well. Occasionally I have some discomfort reminiscent of the nerve pain I used to have, but it's about a 1 on a scale of 10, and can usually be alleviated with some Advil. You ask about the severity of my spondylosis, and what level it was. I don't know....I only know what was written in the original diagnosis after my mri and x-rays, in the fall of 2007. I didn't realize there were different levels, as I am not very informed about spine health and problems. My spine problems came on pretty quickly (less than a year from initial onset until my surgery), and I didn't do much research into my condition as many others have. I also realize that I'm lucky in this regard, as so many on this site have suffered with their pain for many, many years. My intention for posting was not to mislead anyone, or provide any false information. I was strictly sharing my positive outcome with this type of surgery, in case it would be helpful for someone else. I never felt any pain in my vertebrae from the screws, although I did have soreness and tenderness, but I attributed that to the surgery itself, and that very quickly subsided. I still feel this was the right solution for my spine problems, and hopefully others will benefit as well.
  • Hi guys, I had my surgery at 2 levels to relieve pain caused by structural abnormalities (congenital), DDD and a disc tear. I am making progress in my recovery but it is slow and in all fairness has been problematic from the start i.e. had 2 ops within 3 days of each other!! My surgeon said full recovery for me could take 12 months so I still have a way to go... BUT I am so thankful that I've had the op and remain confident that things will improve.

Before my op I couldn't find much info anywhere for UK patients so I started a blog to diary my surgery and recovery and a Dynesys group in Facebook. I have had 100s of hits to my blog and there are now 24 members in the FB group who are past, present & future Dynesys patients. Everybody has a different experience of this surgery, so if you want to connect with other Dynesys 'spineys' and their stories, feel free to join us (FB membership is free).

PS. ShellyR, great to hear about your good outcome to surgery - you go girl!!
  • Post removed by moderator paulgla. Inappropriate
  • this site is for support...you dont belong here. you need evidence o support these accusations and you have none....
  • so happy for you....by the way for people interested here is link to info on the procedure
  • You do realize her last post was from February. If this system helped her good for her. If she is just a hardware rep peddling parts well...

It is good to hear about promising systems. Anything that is "dynamic" and not "static" in stabilizing the spine is the way to go. I was in my surgeons office a couple of weeks ago looking at the older stuff he still has laying around. It is fixed/static and crude. The kind of thing you wouldn't mind using to tie some 2x4s together with. Not your back.