Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain meds and Work

Cm4tbly nuumbCCm4tbly nuumb Posts: 3
edited 09/25/2015 - 2:34 AM in Health Insurance Issues
Hello fellow troopers.
I've been dipping in and out of this website for sometime now.
I'll try to keep this short and sweet as can be:

Hurt my lower back in May of 2012 on the job.
I was diagnosed with a ruptured disc at the L5S1 region after my MRI.
First dr wanted to graft, fuse and cage me-I got a second opinion.
Being that it was Work Comp, I jumped through all the hoops-
physical therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture, steroid injections((4 of them)), all while ingesting the prescribed dosages of Soma and Norco and medical MJ.
Fast forward to present day....
Never had surgery(work comp QME said it couldn't be justified due to low success rates of the surgery that I need).
I see my pain management doctor once every 2 months, to get my "power pills".
On the norco, I still feel the back pain, but they numb the pain enough for me to function substantially.
I've intentionally kept myself on Norco and have not needed to upgrade? to stronger opiates-to avoid dependency....... Too late.
After my work comp $ ran out, I went on state disability.
After that ran out, I scraped along till I settled my WC case in 2014.
I also applied for SSI and SSDI...but I was denied twice...they say I'm too "young" and not disabled enough.
Yet I can barley walk without medication and I fit their "rules" for being disabled.
Now my question:
Does anybody know of any programs I may have missed or that are available for disabled folks who fell through the cracks?
I want to work sooo bad, but nobody will hire me cuz of my disability and my meds.
Any suggestions are thoroughly appreciated.
Thanks guys.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Please take the time to read this post and refer to it when you have questions

I am sure that you will find your time on Spine-Health very rewarding. This site is a powerful and integrated system that is dynamic and growing.
    Here are just some of the highlights that are available as tabs on the main Spine-Health menu bar

Spine-Health Main Menu Tabs

Conditions Detailed medical libraries of articles and videos that address almost every spinal condition.
    Treatment List of treatments to the conditions identified by Spine-Health.
    Wellness Section contains articles, tips and videos to help patients after surgery and also to help people avoid surgery.
    Medical Articles
    Pain Forums These are the forums you will be using
    Find A Doctor This provides with a method to search for doctors in various locations.
    Videos Index to all Spine-Health Videos

As a bonus, Spine-Health provides these patient forums. Here you can meet thousands of people who understand and can relate to your situation. You will soon become part of the Spiney family[/u] who provide comfort and the advantages of a support system. You are now part of this family that is approximately 27,00 international members and growing daily.

- It is very important to understand the Forum Rules to make sure all of your posts[u] do not violate any of the rules.[/u]

- All new members must read our FAQ in order to understand the layout of the forums, how to navigate through the forums, helpful terms, how to make effective threads and posts, plus a link index to many of the important medical forums and key medical articles on Spine-Health Forum FAQ

I am positive any member, new or old will find this Chroinc Pain - Step by Step thread very valuable.

Here are some links that all new members need to review to create effective threads and more

Read before you post
    More Info Tips for Newcomers
    Understanding the rules

All of this will help make your threads better and improve the times and quality of responses you will receive.

You can also find Spine-Health on these Social Networks

Facebook www.facebook.com/spinehealth
    Pinterest http://pinterest.com/spinehealth/boards/
    Twitter https://twitter.com/SpineHealth

If you have any questions or need assistance, you can use the private message facility to[u] contact any one of the Spine-Health Moderators

Also working with us very closely is Allison Walsh from the Spine-Health company

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Mother GooseMMother Goose Posts: 87
    edited 09/26/2015 - 4:49 PM
    there is something missing from the story. What is it that you where working as? Most of the time when applying for SSDI you have to show that you can't do any job. A lot of times someone who can't do a physical job can change to a desk job. (that's generalizing but you get the idea) I had to stop doing a job that I loved because of my injuries. I went to vocational rehabilitation. They sent me to school for a semester and I was able to switch careers. I have been on my current job for over 20 years. I also asked for and got accommodations. The person that is in the cubicle next to me has the social security caseload and you have to show that you have tried other jobs first.
  • Thanks for the reply MotherGoose.
    I was a truck driver.
    And of course, advised that I wouldn't be driving for a career anymore by my Dr(s).

So frustrating knowing you're qualified for a job, but know that you won't get hired because your taking PRESCRIBED meds.

• How working would be a problem, especially since you're a truck driver. Nobody can take the chance that you can't drive while you're on narcotics if you were sitting in their place you probably wouldn't take the risk with your business either.

I think you need a disability attorney. Apparently everybody gets denied for disability and being young doesn't help. If a lawyer can't help with your disability they may be able to help you find or get into some educational program so you can change careers. You might be amazed at what a lawyer can do, they deal with people in your situation everyday and know a great deal about it.

I feel for u in your situation, I've been wondering about those things myself, I have a physical job and don't see how I'm going to manage it without pain meds nor do I see a way for me to manage it with them because of the side effects. It's truly a vicious cycle. I hope things get better for you.
  • Purplegirl is spot on. You need an attorney to help you out. Thankfully, my employer changed my job for me so medications wouldn't be an issue. Best of luck!

Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2