Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

5 weeks post op - pain and sore scar

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a discectomy L5/S1 10th june. This has left me with numbnessin my left foot an leg. Also in my bum and i have No toilet control. I currently have to do ISC 4 times a day to wee and well poo just happens. Dr says numbness will settle when inflamation goes down and toilet control will as well.

Anyway last night i was in agony. it felt like someone had put red hot coals in my back and bum. Scar felt hot to the touch. Ended up falling asleep laying on an ice pack. This morning I am still sore but scar doesnt feel so hot. Next appt with dr is next tuesday. Should i be getting seen before then or is this just a bad day.

• I'm not a doctor but the no toilet control rings alarm bells, especially after 5 weeks. You might want to consider trying to see your doctor earlier or even seeking a second opinion quickly if you can.

Are you on medication for the inflammation?
    Keep positive!

...an old timer here and ex-moderator

• If your doc thinks that is OK, you should really consider a new doc!
  • Scary symptoms! Have you got an apt. yet?
  • Saw GP who reckons I dont have an infection an that it is just the nerves trying to work and not being able to do so properly yet thatcaused all the pain. It was agony but has settled somewhat since.

See the ortho consultant on tuesday. i have 4 pages of questions so far to ask him. I have included questions about getting referred to a neurologist (is that right? someone who knows about the nervous system??)As i think of something I write it down. I hope to get all my questions answered and by having them in my note book i may just get to ask them. I am not worried by writting down his answers in front of him as my family have all done it for years. We believe you dont remember half of what the doctore said so if you write it down you dont need to remember that bit.
    And of course it slows them down to explain things properly to you instead of using medical terms you dont understand all the time.

Will update when i have seen him. Meanwhile if anyone has any ideas on what i shouldbe asking feel free to post. I wont be offended.

• Good luck on your appointment and I hope you get all your quetions answered. I agree you need a secong opinion.

Christina :)