Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks out from cervical fusion and I washed the dishes

I feel really good about getting the dishes done today....I also washed clothes and went shopping for a very small amount of groceries.

I'm proud of myself.

And I made my husband happy.

• You SHOULD feel proud of yourself, you accomplished a lot. I'm sure your hubby totally appreciated everything! I just had my 2 level ACDF yesterday, still a long road ahead. I've been looking forward to the day when I can handle household stuff again, lessen the load on my hubby.
  • Thats amazing. When I did my dishes the first time in a long time I felt so proud too. People take for granted being able to do such things but we all are greatful when we can. I'm so happy for you xx
  • Bruce EitmanBruce Eitman Akron, OH, USAPosts: 1,166
    That is great news, but I am worried that you may be overdoing it.   Take it slow.

I agree with Rebecca, it is so great to start doing the normal things again!  4 months for me, and I am still ramping up to normal things - I overdid it this weekend, but it felt so good!

Spine-health Moderator

Read my story at Bruce - My Story
    ACDF C4-C5-C6-C7, and getting better every day
    It has been a process of healing, learning, exercising, and resting - and figuring out when to do which.

• How are you doing this week jamesgirl? X
  • Well maybe I did do too much too soon since my neck didn't fuse and I will need another surgery. I'm tired of surgery and recovery and not being able to do anything.
  • Good for you!  Yes, paper plates have been our friends.  Six weeks out today and doc says I can remove collar and only wear it outside the house.  I have been doing a lot the past few weeks but never lifting more than the gallon of milk.  So optimistic and cautious about not wearing the safely collar as I only took it off to shower.. and that was nerve wracking as many of you know.
  • jamesgirlll how long ago was you surgery? 
  • My surgery was August 6, 2015
  • HualaniHualani Big Ilsland HawaiiPosts: 57
    Not quite 7 weeks but i live alone (except critter responsibilities) so I didnt have the luxury of having help with the dishes or laundry or shopping from day 4 post op onward. I was pretty good about wearing soft collars for the heavier items and making sure I used the other parts of my body to lift and carry,   Its a matter of problem solving and "work arounds."
    I went from 5 gallon buckets to 2 gallon, and always from leaving the hospital and coming home made sure I carry 2 at a time to balance both arms in the event they pull on the shoulders, etc.

From the compassionate side, i was all broken up in a hurricane on my left side, head down in the early 80s so I actually do remember the days when i wasnt so tough/stoic/or stupid? 
    healing and perception is so very subjective. each patient must find thier own comfort zone. from the wieght lifters and athletes to the not so physical personalities.

Remember everyone laughter is always the BEST medicine. and I heard a very funny misnomer or malapropism about ACDF;
    :D "but you're not supposed to bend!"  :D

OMG I laughed outloud for almost the last week and everytime I stand up or sit down, get in or out of the car, 
    change my socks, shoes, clothes, in and out of shower and tub always laughing to my self......
    "not supposed to bend?...here I go: bending my knees, bending my back, my waist, my ankles....LOL!!" 
    Uh, oh....need the commode.....Uhm...can  I sit on the ot without bending? OMG I cant "go" laughing this hard!!

all the best for our collective recoveries after ACDF surgery...and hey can I borrow your hubby next time?

Life is too short to be serious all the time.
    so if you cant laugh at yourself, contact me
    I'll laugh at you. B)
  • HualaniHualani Big Ilsland HawaiiPosts: 57
    Congrats to everyone Post surgery, In recovery , P.T., for accomplishing their goals!
    (edit above post was "sit on pot" ie. the "lu" or what its called in your neck of the woods...LOL typo 
    Life is too short to be serious all the time.
    so if you cant laugh at yourself, contact me
    I'll laugh at you. B)
  • I don't share my hubby lol sorry!
    Thanks for the encouraging words.