Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Is there is any permanent solution for Osteoarthritis?

HenryLawrenceHHenryLawrence Posts: 1
edited 09/29/2015 - 10:14 AM in Arthritis, Osteoarthritis
Hello Friends;
I know that Osteoarthritis (OA) is caused by aging joints, injury, and obesity. OA symptoms include joint pain and stiffness.
Unfortunately; my Dad is suffering from such conditions. Facing so much pain at his knee joints when walking from ladders and carrying some heavy objects. He had also taken some medicine for it but it works for that time only to reduce pain and now he has started a yoga classes for some cure.
Friends; I wants to know that what he has to do for the permanent solution of his problem apart from doing surgery.

At present there is no cure for Osteoarthritis. With specific diets, there are ways to potentially slow it down For more details look at Arthritis-Health

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 09/29/15 08:12

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• BManBBMan Posts: 113
    edited 09/29/2015 - 10:12 AM
    Sorry to hear your dad is having such issues. It's very kind of you to help him in his search for help.
  • I have moderate to severe osteoarthritis in my lumbar spine and I am not obese. Obesity is not a "cause," but it certainly doesn't help with extra weight on the joints. There is no cure unfortunately. My doctors have all told me that my spine will continue to degenerate, which is devastating news at 36. I do know that working as a waitress over the past 8 years through school helped the process along. It would be smart to make some life changes, as he is doing. Yoga is good...ladders and heavy objects not so good. I'm not sure his age, but if work requires him to do these activities, maybe it's time to retire or change working conditions? I hope this helps at least a little. Good luck to your dad. I know it's hard.
    Spine-Health Moderator 
    Ankylosing Spondylitis
    Bulging discs T12-L3
    Annular Tears with Disc Extrusion L4-S1
    Moderate Central Canal Stenosis
    Moderate Foraminal Stenosis
    Enlarged Facet Joints/Ligaments
    Spinal enthesopathy
    L4-L/5 PLIF with cages, rods, screws 2/15 

• Yes there is a treatment using "biologiics". Biologiics shutdown an over active immune system. Blood test are needed every 3 months. This is not a cure but a permanent treatment. When the benefits outweigh the the risks thats when to seriously consider it. My oa has made me retire, attacked my shoulder, knees ,gave me ulcerative colitis and now spinal stenosis. So I'm seriously thinking the benefits outweigh the risks. Which include more risks of tb, flus, cancers....etc.....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    there is still no permanent solution for Osteoarthritis.
    However, for Rheumatoid Arthritis, there is. Since that is an immune disease, solutions such as biologiics can help with RA, but not with OA.

Snippets from several medical arthritis sites:
    Osteoarthritis is a chronic (long-term) disease. There is no cure, but treatments are available to manage symptoms.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com