Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Time for a sleep chair? If so, which are best?

bnybbny Posts: 2
edited 09/30/2015 - 5:01 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

It used to be cozy sleeping in bed, now it's painful. Somehow it aggravates every painful spot I have.

I've moved to sleeping in a regular recliner at least half of the time, but a regular recliner just doesn't support very well.

Last year I looked into expensive adjustable beds--they seem like a lot of money with a lot of expensive things that can go wrong.

I'm wondering if a sleep chair/recliner/lift recliner might be a better fit (although, wow!, are they expensive! Even though they're less than half the price of an adjustable bed.)

For the most part, here's what I have going on:
*Severe autonomic and peripheral neuropathy
*Multi-level spinal stenosis (I've been told these are changes you see in a 70 y.o, not someone half that age.)
*Lupus, R.A., Sjogren's, etc. (multiple autoimmunes) have eaten my joints to the point of instability, part. in my knees and neck (the knee braces I wear almost constantly now, the neck brace is off-and-on daily and always overnight.)
*Severe, constant migraines (I've been having nerve blocks for those, although they might req. something more)

There's medicine for everything (and physical therapy soon), but, in the same way the knee braces help alleviate pain & take a lot of the work out of walking b/c I'm not constantly compensating for the instability, I'm wondering if a sleep recliner would do something similar: stabilize/brace/support my body while I sit/sleep to help relieve pain (instead of create it, like sleeping in a bed.)

But what do you look for in a chair that can cost up to $2000? Who are the reputable companies? Are there good warranties? Which features should you look for? How do you find a chair that's the right height for you? Maybe most importantly--memory foam burns my skin and lungs--how do you find an everyday recliner/sleep chair w/o memory foam?

Also, w/ my knees, I've noticed that I usually push up on something to lift myself up which means, I imagine, standing's going to get a bit rougher in the future. Do lift chairs really help, or can the lifting action really put a lot of strain on your back?

So appreciative for any/all replies,

Mattresses and Sleep Positions for Each Back Pain Diagnosis

Forum rules do not allow members to make recommendations

• Sorry I just read that we are not allowed to make recommendations.
    Scoliosis and other problems at every level.

2013: C-5 to C-6 ADR
    2014: C-5 to C-6 fusion/revision of failed ADR
    2014: Total hip replacement, right

Cancelled multi-level fusion - fear being more crippled and in more pain.