Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Methadone Advice? Just starting

My doctor and I are playing the hoop game with insurance to see if they will cover Zohydro after trying the list of pre-approved extended release medications. Methadone was next on the list, it scared me last appointment being mentioned because I always thought it was an opiate replacement but turns out it was originally a pain medication, so we are starting at 10mg. I did some research on it and I am following my doctor's instructions taking half the dose for two days then going to the full dose. He's a great doctor but I found later, I had a few questions and the office is closed for the day.

Without being long winded, is anyone on Methadone that can tell me about your experiences? Do's and don'ts? Like food, alcohol etc? (I don't really drink but am going on vacation next week and would like to have a cocktail or two at the resort but I know there is an interaction here.) Any advice would be appreciated.

FYI - I do know pain medications are different for everyone, I just would like to know what other people have experienced. Thanks!

• I just wanted to wish you the best of luck with the Methadone. I think it has kind of a stigma attached to it because of the fact that it is used as a drug replacement for heroin users. Some people just don't get past that. Years ago a PM doc wanted me to try it. After discussing it with my MD, I decided not to but truthfully I didn't know all the facts about it myself. My MD just said "no, you don't want to go there" so I didn't. There are so many CP patients that get really good pain relief from it when not much else has worked for them. I am crossing my fingers that it works for you. I know that there are some people who are on it and some who have previously tried it so I am sure someone will come along and share their experiences with you. Take care.

• I had a friend in my life that died from mixing methadone with alcohol and I am not saying that would happen to you. Please don't get upset with me, Just be careful it does say on most if not all drug medications not to drink as you are aware of, that is why I stopped drinking 15 years ago too big a risk I felt.
    My Doctor's would never give it to me and now I could not take it they say since I am on a C-path oxygen machine. I don't understand that since they all effect our breathing.
    I care that is the only reason I posted to you and I hope that medication works to help with your pain there are a lot of those who like it.
    Take care
  • I was on it briefly before having a pain pump. It was 10mg 3x's daily and I don't recall having any side effects. I was put on Methadone after my insurance lapsed and Oxycontin was way too expensive out of pocket. I had no problems switching from Oxycontin 40mg 2x's a day to 30mg of Methadone daily..no withdrawals whatsoever. It did feel a bit weird turning the script in at the pharmacy but they knew my condition and that it was for chronic pain, so I felt okay about it afterwards. One good thing about it is was that it is dirt cheap compared to other pain meds. I certainly wouldn't mix Methadone with alcohol. I haven't had not even a beer in years because of fear of adverse interactions with my pain medications.
    Ol' Spiney...Microdiscectomy L4-L5, TLIF L4-S1 -post op central disc herniation L4-S1, sciatic nerve damage, retrolisthesis, epidural fibrosis, facet arthropathy, severe DDD & OA.FBSS- Medtronic SynchroMed II pump.