Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Successful ALIF at L5 S1, 18 days out!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm excited to report that I had ALIF at L5 S1 on 6/27/08 and my recovery has been terrific. The only post-operative surprise has been nerve pain in new locations, where there was no previous pain.

I woke up after surgery in extreme pain in my hips; at first I thought it was the hard hospital bed. By mid-afternoon I insisted that the pain pump wasn't doing enough and after consulting with my surgeon they switched me from morphine to dilaudid. I was surprised to learn that I'd been on morphine and that it was doing nothing for the pain. Within a few hours of being on the dilaudid my hips began to feel normal again.

My surgeon said that I may have new pain in my back and legs for up to 6 months because so much disc space has been restored and my hips realigned. I've had no pain in my back since surgery, nor any real discomfort at the incision site (it was sensitive to touch at first). I was up and walking the day after surgery. I've been fitted with a lumbar support corset to wear for a month. After 4 days in the hospital I came home with prescriptions for percoset and valium (to minimize muscle spasms).

I am already walking about a mile a day with the use of a cane. I did go to the emergency room on 7/11/08 because discomfort in my calves was intensifying tremendously, but a ct scan and x-ray showed that medtronic cage was in place and that there were no bone fragments against nerves. A prescription of prednisone resulted in immediate leg relief!

My mother's been with me since surgery to help with things like putting on socks and shoes, but I can use the squatting techniques shown by my surgeon to start water for showers, and I've been able to shower by myself since the 2nd day following surgery. I could not have survived the hospital without a family member with me round-the-clock! Nurses only checked in every 1-2 hours, and when I called for nurses, it sometimes took 30-40 minutes for anyone to arrive.

My family's been amazed at how well I'm recovering. I honestly had much more pain in the weeks following my discogram than I have since the actual surgery!

My surgeon did use the BMP for the fusion process, and his nurse said they've seen completed fusions in as little as 6 weeks, though they've cautioned me to expect 3-6 months.

I'm thankful to be able to be part of this online community now and sharing and learning with everyone.
K :)