Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C2-C4 fusion in 2004, chronic pain and increasing migraines

edited 10/01/2015 - 10:50 PM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi all! I'm new here and have been reading some posts. Amazing info and resources here, I had to sign up. I've been suffering in silence too long. I hope this post is in the right place. I was in a car accident in 2004. I broke my neck in 3 places.(one of many injuries, but by far my worst). My first surgery the surgeon fused c2-c3. I was in a halo for about two months. After the halo came off my hands went numb within a day or two. He had me come in and scheduled fusion for my c3-c4. I have lived with chronic pain since this happened, I was told my injuries were so severe I would never be pain free. Recent MRI shows the area below my fusion is deteriorating, which is to be expected I've heard. Also I have a herniation at c6/c7. My neck pain seems to be getting worse as well. I have suffered from headaches and migraines for years. The last month they have become increasingly severe. I've always thought my neck injury caused my migraines. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? My PM doctor prescribed me migraine meds today, I'm hoping they will help. I'm trying to decide if I should see another doctor for these headaches, and if anyone has any ideas what doctor would be best. I was thinking a neurologist that specializes in migraines and neck injury. I'm hoping someone has been through this, and has advice on whether this will be the normal, or if it can get better with surgery or anything else. Thanks for any advice, as one migraine was particularly scary.

Welcome to Spine-Health
Please click on link for helpful information!
~ spine-health moderator, savage

• Hi, this is a test message to see if it gets through. An earlier reply didn't and rondilauro said he'd help out.
    Lets see if this works - first off, take whatever I say as a possibility to investigate with your Dr and PT professionals. This is merely personal /subjective advice which I've picked up as a trauma patient (I had a bad fall and injured my neck). I too have a disc bulge at C6-C7 and one at C4-C5. The one at C6-C7 worsened post my fall. The C4-C5 developed later - I believe this was from an uncorrected muscle spasm.
    Coming to headaches, please ask your Dr about PT advice and massage.
    About PT:
    1. Cervicogenic headaches - suboccipital and SCM muscles are frequently implicated. They become overactive to compensate for deep neck muscle weakness. Cervical isometrics may help here.
    2. Muscle spasms - massage therapy, self or administered. Self, frequent may help.
    3. Shoulder weakness - either weak or overactive Upper Traps can cause your shoulder blades to pull on the neck causing muscles in the neck to spasm. Please investigate with your PT.
    4. Lower back posture. Swayback or anterior tipped hips can cause additional strain on your neck. Again PT can help.

See if the above helps in any manner and you can investigate with your Drs consent.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!

I see you joined 9/2014, and today I have just read all of your recent and total three posts.....
    So, I wanted to be sure you indeed received Welcome Link!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History