Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal fusion L4/L5

Had lumbar disc decompression March 2015 because of numbness in calves and feet and nerve pain in left butt cheek. Diagnosis spinal stenosis. Numbness and nerve pain gone when I left hospital after day surgery. 6 weeks later nerve pain in butt cheeks came back mostly left side but sometimes right side too. First 5 weeks it felt like I died and went to heaven it was so great. Went back to doctor and had another MRI and no spinal stenosis or reoccurring disc herniation. Doctor said because MRIs are lying down and the nerve pain is only weight bearing when I am standing g but mostly when walking. Used to walk 4 miles per day but can't do 1 mile without nerve pain. Doctor sent me for a flex ion/extension X-ray. It revealed spine not stabilized, out by almost 1/4" which is causing rubbing on the nerves thus causing nerve pain. He said I need a fusion in the same spot as the decompression was done. He said he doesn't like to do a fusion unless he has to. In my case because my spine is not stable, too much play, it is necessary. When I had my surgery in March it took about a month to recuperate. I read lots and lots of posting on this site and I am having a hard time finding positive experiences. This is scaring me.

• I had the same as you.

I recovered in six months and all was fine and dandy.

Unfortunately, I am accident prone and keep falling / tripping / stumbling and aggravating things.

So long as you don't drag things backwards and trip over garden furniture, try and get into cars that are way too short for you or fall off of ladders you didn't need to be up in the first place, you'll do good!

L5-S1 herniation. Both knee meniscus tear. L4-5 herniation - 2 x nerve block injections. L4-5 discectomy. L1-2 nerve block injection. L4-5 reherniation - TLIF fusion. 2016: L1-2 and L5-S1 retrolistheses and multiple facet joint degeneration.