Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What post-op care?!?

10 days ago I had a discectomy with laminotomy and who knows what else (not fusion). l5-S1. Disc had very large bulge all the way around with a herniated section that had blown bits and pieces that doc said were calcified. He also said he could see all the way through my spine from back to my belly. Don't know what that means at all. He also said my vertebra are pretty much sitting on each other with very little disc left. I'm in hideous back pain. Leg and butt pain are gone but I am miserable. He said I shouldn't really be needing norco at this point but I can't imagine living with this level of pain. He has had no suggestions on what to do next ... PT? ... Steroids ... More surgery ... Exercise. I feel abandoned and don't know where to turn. Am I just being impatient? Likely to feel less pain as time passes?

• Typically, they say that you can see improvement up to one year after surgery. I would think that he should have some suggestion beyond pain medications to relieve your pain, but you are only 10 days post op, and so that is very soon. I had a discectomy in February and really I stayed in a bit of pain for months after, but my motor deficits went away so I could walk again, it's really hard to tell at 10 days out what the outcome is going to be. At ten days out, I still had many of the same neuro symptoms (tingling, rubber band sensation around toes). Most of it has over time gone away.
  • Thanks for the encouraging words and the reminder that this isn't going to heal overnight. I slept well last night so, of course, the world looks a little brighter.
  • I had a L4-5-S1 laminectomy/discectomy in February of this year that re-herniated at one level. I felt good for about a week maybe 12 weeks post-op then it was downhill again. Most of the leg pain had disappeared but the lumbar was still extremely painful (perhaps more than before). Talked to my neuro who said fusion was the next option so I did that in August, I'm 8 weeks post-op from that and just starting to feel a little better.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History