Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Familiar with pain

Hello. My name is Jim and I just had ACDF, one week ago. I'm very familiar with pain; you could say we are in a relationship since 1984. I herniated a disk (L4-L5) when I was 24 so now it's multi-level degeneration, arthritis, etc. I've learned to live with that over the years but it can and will immobilize me at times. Seven years ago I injured my neck at work (C6-C7) took some time off with workers comp help. It healed and just last year I hurt my neck (twisted it) and compensation covered me again. But this time numbness and major tingling in my right forearm got my attention. Long story short: the surgery to fix my neck is over and done with. I came home after my 17 hours at the hospital and felt fine. Fine until the next day, in the afternoon I get this piercing pain inner wren my neck and shoulder, with pain running down my tricep into my forearm and down to my wrist. No tingling but a little numb in fingertips. The odd thing is that my right arm felt all the tingling, numbness, pain pre-op. My right arm is better but not 100% but now my pre- op good left a and shoulder and affected by what, I don't know. It feels like spasms in my shoulder and arm but before I get the pain in my tricep and arm area I get a burning, piercing pain in a spot the size of a dime. I don't worry about all this. Like I said, pain is my friend and I should heal okay eventually. I'm just curious about why I would get pain in a previously pain free area. I know ACDF in serious surgery so I know it will hurt for a long time and it's only been just over a week, just wondering if anyone else had this type of "new pain". Thanks for listening to my rambling lol. And thanks for having a site like this at our fingertips.

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Motor1MMotor1 Pittsburgh, PaPosts: 556
    I've had 2 neck surgeries & after both of them, I felt all kinds of new pains in places that never hurt before.
    I think that surgery involves moving & cutting a lot of muscles & nerves. Things need time to settle down.
    If it gets too painful, I would put a call into your doctor.
    I hope things start to improve soon for you.