Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

oh, to be normal again! 11 weeks post op and so so tired!

so I am not really questioning being tired because I have been through alot but more so wishing I had a little more stamina again. I had three level fusion (L3-S1) with hardware and laminectomy , also decompression done in between each with spacers placed and artificial bone placed for fusion to start. Not real good with technical terms but hope that explains what nurosurgeon did. Anyway, I was in hospital for six days. Three of which I was on strict bed rest due to having an unintended durotomy tear repaired. After I was home for two weeks, I started having alot of swelling in lower legs then turned into cellulitis. After two rounds of antibiotics with not much healing I went to local emergency room for what i thought would be round three and ended up being admitted for next six days. Ended up that cellulitis had turned into a MRSA infection. MRSA was also found inside my nasal passages which I found out is very normal place for germ to be. I was on IV antibiotics for six days. Also found out through other tests that I am now considered diabetic due to my A1C test outcome of 6.7. I also was found to have low iron (anemia), Vitamin b12 and vitamin d deficiency. Ok, so I know with all that being said I should have been exhausted and I was and still am. I just thought that once I had been on mega dose of vitamins , iron and antibiotics for almost two weeks I would have a little more energy. I get so wiped out just from doing simple things. If I do go out to a store or anything it seems to wipe me out for next day or so. I guess it is really to be expected since I have been through a major surgery and all the other stuff in past three months but I need to get back just a little of my energy since I am also the only parent home with my 9 year old daughter and all the caretaking of her and our home falling on me. My husband is over seas working and is only home for four weeks at a time and gone for twelve. He was able to be home with and for me from July 10th until Sept 20th. Anyhow, now what I would like to know is this. Does anyone have any ideas of any foods etc that will help with whole body healing and regaining energy. I am sure my recovery is going to take time and be slow but I am willing to try anything that will help me get back to my old self. Only part of my old self I wanted to leave behind is the pain part...LOL! Thanks in advance for any ideas and for listening to my ol' pitiful me session here.
best wishes

• Hi Angel,

Oh my, you have been through so much. I think you just have to take it easy. Had my second microdisectomy and laminectomy in May and I was 12 weeks before I started to feel anything like my self. You have been through so much more and your healing will take longer. You have had very major surgery and all the infections, this will have taken its toll on your body. I have started eating lots of fruit for vitamin c. It has given me so much energy and I feel a lot better because of it. I have cut out sugar, apart from natural sugars in fruit and I feel so much better because of it. I've been doing this now for 5 weeks. I've also cut out my carbs considerably, which includes potatoes, bread, pastta and rice. I still have them but only in very small portions and only one portion a day.

I wish you all the best. Like everything it is a matter of balance, I sure think that a healthier diet has helped with my healing. Keep us updated with your progress.
  • I appreciate your input. I have recently started to make myself smoothies that consist of Kale, Spinach, Berries and anything else I happen to have on hand. They seem to help keep me away from alot of starchy foods that I love so much but do not need anymore. I actually find myself craving fruit more than I ever have. I even ate two green apples yesterday and i used to never eat those because they always tasted so tart to me but now they are delicious! I also bought muscadine grapes and eat them fresh or in smoothies too. They are supposed to be a super food, high in antioxidants and resveratrol. I am hoping that with diet change I can regain some energy and loose some weight that I have put on since my back pain started 14 years ago. If I can loose my extra 100lbs (yes I gained alot from sitting around in pain and just co-existing basically) I am hoping I can get my A1C numbers down to normal. Life seems easier without the diabetic thing to worry about everyday. I want to have my life back and to be the best person/mom/wife I can be so bad I can taste it!! A magic pill right about now would be awesome wouldnt it? I know it will take a long time to get back where I want to be. I keep reminding myself that it took years to get this bad off so it wont all be reversed instantly. I just have so much energy in my head , i just wish my body would get the hint and quit dragging a** ya know?
    If you dont mind me asking...why or what caused you to need a second surgery ? I have been told that once you have fusion surgery the discs above will start wearing out too and you will need more surgeries. I think that was one of my main reasons for staying in pain for so long. I finally gave in to the surgery road and even with all the after math I have had so far I am better than before surgery. My pain is different now and I am hoping it is healing pain or from over doing it and eventually will be in my past all together. I just turned 45 and I have too much living to do. I have three grown children and a nine year old girl. I am also a grandma to two boys and two lil girls. I have been told by my doctor that once I fuse and he can release me from his care which he says will be a year to eighteen months, I should have no limitations and can do what ever I want. I cant wait!! I want to dance, ride horses, play ball and ride roller coasters again!! Maybe it is too much but it is my life goal and I will atleast DANCE!! Bless you and all who are going through the stuff life throws at you!! WE GOT THIS! positive minds create positive outcomes.
    best wishes
  • Michelle99MMichelle99 Posts: 57
    edited 10/03/2015 - 9:20 PM
    Hi again, it sounds like you re doing all the right things, sometimes it's just getting in the right mind set. I've entered a charity 6k walk which is not until Novemeber so I've started walking. It's really good and I enjoy getting out and about. Walking is the one thing I do really well and it doesn't cause me a great deal of pain. Also it seems to be working on loosening the scar tissue around my S1 nerve which has become my current issue. I reherniated 5 weeks after my first surgery when I went for a post op check, I was asked by a dr, who was standing in for my own doctor, to bend down and touch my toes. Although I thought it was a bit odd I did as I was told, as you do! Hence the second surgery in May. Keep up the good work, feel free to message me if you need any support
  • edited 10/04/2015 - 4:14 PM
    I can relate to your situation. I am on my second surgery micro was considered a failed back surgery and possibly this one is too...however as far as food goes I am trained chef with a back round in nutrition in this area so I can give you ideas. Because of the diabetes you do have to watch try ensure. Its not the greatest tasting but I use it in smoothies to get the extra benefits from it...also green veggies spinach, arugula, protein, like chicken, eggs, drink almond milk, greek yogurt and honestly just rest. I went through a very long injury and a very invasive 2nd surgery and I get frustrated that I'm still in pain. If you want any help in this area let me know PM me I'd be glad to pass along whatever I can. My mind wants to go but the body doesnt follow. I just want to be me again....it takes me 3 hrs to get ready to go out...and I can never stay once I'm out, but I keep trying. That is frustrating me very much. I to am on 48 and all my kids are grown my life was supposed to be different right now...
    This can't be happening