Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I do weights with Sciatica?

Welsh DaveWWelsh Dave Posts: 20
Hey There.

I was wondering that I have a bulging disc in my L5-S1 area. I was wondering If It best to do weights or not?

If so should I wear a belt for lifting weights thanks.

ps - I am a very fit guy (age 22, 6ft 3 and 11 stones) and I had to stop doing physical exercise because of the pain and I am listed for surgery but Should i get my strength up before hand?. With the right medication the pain goes away for once.

Thanks for reading.

There is nobody on the forum medically qualified or permitted to give advice responses will be members own experiences only

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

• I'm surprised your doctor hasn't talked about this with you. If not, you absolutely MUST bring this up to your doctor or the physical therapist that you work with (if you work with one). There is a trend in the fitness and weightlifting world to simply discount what doctors or therapists say about regular weightlifting. Some fitness buffs argue that doctors are not knowledgeable about weightlifting because they are not weightlifters themselves. Well... heed the advice of your doctor because he truly has your best health in mind. Please be safe. And if they tell you it's time to retire your previous weightlifting ways, just please do it. Whether or not to use a belt should be the least of your worries. What exercises are you doing prior to surgery that might require a belt? Ask your doctor if you should be doing those exercises.

As for maintaining strength, a couple consults with a Physical Therapist can set you up with some safe strengthening exercises. Provide feedback about what is or is not comfortable for you. I know it could be costly, but it's your health for the rest of your life we're talking about here. I've lifted with a bad back and reaped the regret and consequences. I sincerely hope others do not follow down my path.
  • I havent been doing much as of exercise to be honest. Walking to uni and back home and working is my only types of exercise. (takes about 4 miles walking a day). I have loads of exercises that i have been doing thoughout the period of my 8 months of physio and it has not worked. (im still doing them tho).

When I was doing my physio they told me to keep on doing my weights but I had to stop cause of pain. And now I am just waiting for surgery (would love to go back to football one day but that will probably not happen for quite some time).