Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SCS Trial Update -

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Pain Management
Today is a wonderful day for me, I had the SCS trial procedure done yesterday. Although everything did not go totally smooth the current results are more than what I had anticipated.

My experience with procedure:
Doctor explained in detail about the prep for the procedure and that I needed to communicate with him during the lead insertion process.

I was laying on my stomach with a pillow under my head, chest and feet. He gave me time to adjust myself to a comfortable position cause he knew this was difficult position for me because of my size and the pain I was in.

The sedation made me groggy but I could fully understand what was going on and he explained every step from massaging my back, prep solutions applied and then details when he was inserting the leads.

He told me upfront to yell at him to stop at anytime if I experienced pain and he would numb me up some more. He gave me advanced notice every time he touched me and explained when he was applying pressure. He stopped immediately when I felt severe pain and numbed me up some more and gave me a minute to catch my breath.

He was really good at talking me through the pain and he felt so bad he had to numb me up several times because of the extra manipulation he had to do to get the leads in. He explained because of several factors, scar tissue, arthritic swelling and the formation of my spine caused the extra manipulation that wasn't an easy insertion.

I think it helped so much the way he talked me through each step he was doing it took away the anxiety. Then he told the Boston Scientific rep to turn me on...

Oh my- I was in tears because I had instant pain relief, no more knife in the tailbone or that hot spiked searing rod pain that shoots down the leg and into the foot! I have always had pain even through anesthetics and medication, this was such a cool feeling, very strange but cool.

The rep talked to me for a few minutes to make sure they were initially getting coverage for all my main sights of pain. Then they turned it off, not nice! LOL He then asked me what position I slept in so he could dress the incision and position the leads, cable and stimulator so it wouldn't bother me or pull while I slept.

Then after he helped me up he explained again the most important thing is to roll when getting up and down, etc. I then was taken back to the recovery room where I could sit up and was given liquids.

The rep then came in and worked with me to set up two programs which also can be combined to make a third program. The rep told me at that point she would be calling me everyday and adjustments or another program could be made at any time, whatever I needed.

When I got home and throughout the night most of the pain I felt was a harsh cramping from the lead insertion. (told this is normal) I was able to sleep for the first time since I can't remember.

So even though I am moving a little bit slower getting use to the stimulator I do not walk with a limp. This is only day two and I still have pain. This maybe an answer for me to lead a better quality of life.

If someone has questions or concerns regarding this procedure feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can. I still have quite a few more days with this adventure and need to see how my body reacts with this stimulator while I'm at work and doing other activities.

Thank you all for giving me good advice, encouragement and hope. I had doubts and anxiety about going through with this before I read some of these forums. I appreciate all your help.

So far So Gooood.

he= very patient, knowledgeable and compassionate doctor.

• I am so happy that you are doing well after the SCS implant surgery. I have had my SCS for 1 year and 4 months now. I still can't believe how well it works and how little pain I have.

My doctor was very good also and he and the Medtronic Reps have been there for me all through the adjustments, etc. that goes with having the SCS in my system.

I would not ever let anyone take the SCS from me. It has improved my quality of life so much that I don't have words to express how happy I am with it.

Good luck to you during your recovery from the surgery and in the days and years to come.

Take care,