Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

2 years post op L4/5 Fusion

NimroxNNimrox Posts: 27
edited 10/05/2015 - 3:09 PM in Lower Back Pain
When I was 15 I was in a horsing accident, bucked off and landed square on my bum. Concussion, contusion, jammed whole wright hand, fractures. Little did I know at the age of 17 after months of back pain, I'd be diagnosed with Degenerative Disk Disease and Spinal Stenosis. Months of PT and exercise, brought no relief. At the age of 20 in June of 2013, one morning I couldn't get out of bed. Sciatic burned down my legs (YES, LEGS AS IN BOTH OF THEM) I tried to get ready for work but could not. My boyfriend's mother rushed me to the ER. Spent days with doctors trying to say I was faking it or just wanted meds... they finally got ahold of my Ortho doc who confirmed my claims . Scheduled am MRI and as the results were seen, they were in shock to how I was still walking. The next day I was scheduled for an emergency L4/L5 Fusion with a graph, rods, 6 screws and 4 pins. Spent 4 months recovering in PT. For the first 6 or so months following, I did great. I thought I finally had escaped the pain... Well that was short lived. It's now been 2 years 4 months since my surgery and I'm on worse pain now than ever. No amount of PT or pain meds changes it. My right leg is affected the most. My hip, thigh, and knee hurt always. It burns and tingles. My thigh is numb half the time, and the other half it's on fire. My right foot is numb. I have no feeling in the last 3 toes. It hurts to walk, hurts to stand, sit, lay.. everything. My left leg hurts mildly in my hip, thigh, and knee. Just a few days a month. I'm afraid to go back to the same doctor. I cannot afford to. I don't know what to do. For a while, walking helped a lot to alleviate the pain. Now even that pains me. Just walking from my bedroom to the bathroom, I'm limping. Can anybody give me some insite? What to do? Should I see a different doctor? Did the fusion not take? I do not want pain medication anymore. I want actual relief. I'd like to have one day where it doesn't hurt. I'm only 23. I shouldn't be in this much agony.

• I am asking this only because I've noticed different methods of drugs and treatment, are you in the US. And if you are where, I am in the North East reading your story aside from your injury your symptoms are almost identical, and your emotional state sounds very much like mine, I do feel terrible that your in your early 20's but I'm going to figure this out, I am 48 physically active and healthy prior to this last 14 months.
    Follow my story on here and PM. I've posted my story see if any of what I've written seems to relate to you and your symptoms. Im under back pain forums and chronic pain forums
    This can't be happening
  • I am. I reside in the South. What are you doing for pain management? Do you keep seeing your ortho or another? I'm just at a loss... The pain in my hip and thigh are debilitating.
  • I'm so sorry you are in pain! I know how it feels to have pain after you had relief. I'm sad you relief was only 2 years. Mine was ten years between my first fusion and second. I wish you relief!

Are you able to go to your regular doctor? Do you have any health insurance through work? If not, please forgive my next question..I simply do not know: are you able to go to ortho or neuro with universal health care? Is universal health care a way to save some money from out of pocket for you? I simply don't know but bottom line: you need a doctor now and just spitballing how to get you to one and get some help!! I was under the impression that health insurance was available to everyone?

If you had a general Doctor he / she would be the place I would start. I would lay out my experiences, my current pain, and beg their help to chart a path for relief.

Gosh I really hope you get some help fast. You are toooooo young sweet girl to be in this spiney land
  • Yes, I am still covered under my parents till I'm 26. I'm just afraid to go back and they'll tell me I need a second surgery or something else more serious. What is Universal healthcare? I don't really know a whole lot of insurance just yet, being still under my parents and all. I have a primary, but I only see to get prescription refills mostly. I've had a lot done in the last two years aside from the back surgery. Appendix, gallbladder, tonsils, all taken out. I was diagnosed with Orthostatic Intolerance and Tachycardia last month... It's just been tough. But this is my main concern. I'm too afraid to talk to my primary and ortho.
  • Been a while...Ive posted on so many to try to share to help. My ortho has been doing my pain management but I'm now moving to PM dr ortho just cant handle my pain. I've got 5 months where they can rule this l4 l5 bone fusion a failed surgery....my pain is worse then prior to surgery Im not old either and don't want PM but it seems like the bone is not fusing I also have nerve damage which is causing atrophy which also causes pain. When was your last xray MRI ect? Do you have insurance?

I would go to a neuro surgeon not ortho because they are limited and then the neuro can do surgery or send you to PM. Maybe its just some inflammation that is causing pain and having do like a steroid pack and then incorporate the PT maybe something like that. But go to dr with symptoms, what causes them, what you can do, what you cant do...your so young, your health is so important!!!! You can always make payments . keep me posted ake me questions Ive been through so much more since I first posted how did I get here. And educated patient is a good patient...
    This can't be happening
  • How are you doing?
    This can't be happening
  • I made a new forum with new info...

I keep it updated. I'm not doing well at all.
    Considering another trip to the ER.