Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New diagnosis, new depression

bandeetobbandeeto Posts: 7
edited 10/05/2015 - 8:32 PM in Depression and Coping

I had a spinal fusion at C4-5 back in 2000. I was also diagnosed with torn discs at C3-4 and C5-6 at that time, but my neurosurgeon was reluctant to fuse all at that time because I was only 20.

I also have had surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, nerve decompressions, and rib removals. All resulting from a car accident at 17.

Now 15 years later, I started having pain again in my neck and down my left and sometimes right arms and had an MRI, which showed compression of my spine at C6-7. I cannot get an appointment with a spinal surgeon in my area until mid-November. Right now, I am unable to work, spend time with friends very often, and mostly stuck at home.

I'm afraid of facing more diagnostics and a 15th surgery. Since I'm young, most friends don't understand the amount of pain I'm in. My family has been very supportive, but sometimes that does not feel like enough. Anyway, I was hoping to receive some advice/support from others who have had a long journey.

Thanks so much!

Link to member's introduction

• Hi bandeeto!
    All those surgeries...phew!
    Are you still waiting to see a neurosurgeon? Any new developments?
    All the best...
    Kirsti x
  • Yes, still waiting to see a surgeon. The surgeon I have an appointment with is an orthopedic one, but he specializes in spine. My first surgery was done by a neurosurgeon far away from where I currently live, so I have had to find a different doctor.

I saw my GP today, and she prescribed some more hydrocodone for me, which was nice. She also prescribed some gabapentin for night time since the pain is disturbing my sleep. I tried it when I was 18, but I got extremely confused on it. I'm willing to try again because I'm having so many night problems despite bringing in an adjustable "hospital" bed.

Each problem I've had has brought a new set of issues with my body, but I'm just putting one foot in front of the other at this point. I think that's all I can ask of myself. :)