Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cerival Spine Fusion Complete - C4-C7 - Thank you Forum!

Afternoon - I had a C4-C7 fusion in Miami on 9/17, and was back at work on 9/28 (limited duty of course!)

This forum provided a wealth of advice, especially on prepping the home for recovery. Luckily, I did not need much in the way of assistance. The surgery was pretty normal, except there was some spinal fluid leakage when they drilled into the first disc, so I had to spend an extra day in the hospital (PS - ICU beds are much nicer than regular beds at UHealth in Miami!). I was out in 2 days, eating solid food and walking 1-2 miles within 4 days of surgery.

To give you an example of the recovery, on the day of surgery I had no strength in left arm, and the doctor pulled it down with no effort. After surgery 6 hours later, he could not pull down my arm, and I had full strength in it.

Day after surgery I was able to drink water, eat ice chips...and for dinner had veggie lasagna in hospital. On day 2, I got out of bed, and walked up and down the hospital and was home that day. It was the slowest my wife has ever driven on the highway!

Most painful part in hospital was when nurse tripped over my catheter line. Not a happy camper! Also make sure you have an advocate with you in hospital....at 9:30pm Facilities came in, did not wash hands, and stood on a ladder to remove the AC vents in room. That lasted all of 2 minutes with my wife yelling for him to get out (though he didn't speak English, he understoood).

Also, hard to talk after surgery, so pushing nurses button and trying to have them understand gurgles and other noises was not helpful....but I had great nurses, and made sure to let their supervisors know too.

Negatives I have been dealing with:
* allergic reaction to Biozene(?)/surgical tape on both upper arms and chest.....more bothersome than the neck issue actually! No issues with the tape and gauze for the IV, just when I was in surgery.
* constipation from the percosets. Warm prune juice with milk of magnesia and prunes did not help....but magnesium citrate did wonders.
* neck/back pain right between shoulders when at a computer.
* not sleeping through the night, having to readjust bed, pillows - annoying my wife.
* numbness in left thumb
* voice issues, raspy voice and soreness after talking a while
* not being able to drive

* no pain any more
* doing all life chores normally- for most part
* very little pain - doctor and nurses annoyed I was not pushing the drip button more. I was in discomfort, but not pain

I do not have a prognosis on the fusion, too early to tell,,,but so far I am a success, had a great doctor here in Miami, and it was the right decision for me. Thank you for the advice and support from this forum. My goal: get Miami J cervical collar off in December and fly to Maui the next week!

Ft Lauderdale FL
C4-C7 Anterior and Posterior Fusion Candidate

• RunnerHKTRRunnerHKT Posts: 231
    edited 10/06/2015 - 7:07 PM
    [edit] has a great spine program. I know, I tried for months to be referred to it. At this point, I'm unable to walk normal distances, so will be having surgery ASAP in Orlando.

I hope you continue to do well!!!!

5.10 You agree not to post specific physician names or health care facilities names on Spine-Health.com.
    Liz, Spine-health Moderator