Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post op pain

Hi, I'm 10 days post op an L5 laminectomy for removal of a big synovial cyst that was sitting on the L5 nerve root and causing me a lot of pain for the past few months. Started as a deep left hip pain which I thought was just a strained tendon or something but when it started to go down my left leg and then numbness and tingling and then a horrible 'nerve' cramping in my thigh and calf I knew I had something worse than a pulled tendon. Had to wait of course for my neurosurgeon appointment, MRI, etc. So after finally getting the surgery done without any complications other than some low back muscle strain after I got home from the hospital which was alleviated with steroids, valium......I was feeling pretty good finally until two days ago when I developed a deep RIGHT hip pain which is the opposite side from the cyst removal. My neurosurgeon said he went under the spine to the right side to 'clean things up' because I had severe bone spurring so I'm wondering if that irritation is causing this pain. I have a call in to the NS office but feel like I'll be lucky to hear from anyone. They've made me feel so far that they just do the surgeries and then you're on your own....the neurosurgeon did my neck fusion three years ago and is a very good surgeon but has gotten so busy now I think his clinic has just become a big spine surgery mill. Anyway, I'm hoping they'll call back because I'm wondering if I can do any kind of stretching or manipulation so soon after my laminectomy or do something to alleviate this pain. I'm having to use a walker and can't bear much wt. on my right leg. I'd like to hear from anyone with a similar experience....just to maybe help me feel better about my situation and get any ideas that might have helped them. I can be patient and wait to heal if it's just a matter of irritated nerves.....so frustrated right now. Thanks for any input. :)