Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How long, has this been going on?

downinmyheartddowninmyheart Posts: 497
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in New Member Introductions
(I love lyrics)

Good afternoon all! I am Stephanie, a 27 year old female. I have been mostly healthy all of my life with a few minor setbacks here and there. Cervical cancer removed in 2000, no sign of it again!!! :)

I first noticed some pain in my back/legs when I was 17 years old. I thought I might need a new mattress. Got one. It didn't help. Went to the chiro who was definately a doomsayer and said that according to my x-rays I would have back trouble all of my life and would probably not be able to carry a baby to full term without bedrest in 2nd/3rd trimester. I ignored him, went about my teenage business.

At 18 I got married, got pregnant. Experienced severe leg pain during my entire pregnancy. Delivered an exceptionally healthy little girl in 6/00. In 9/00 pain was still extreme and accompanied by partial paralysis and foot drop. I had a discectomy on L5 and felt immediate relief in the leg, not much relief in the back.

Lived with pain for several more years. In 2002 had increased pain, had a nerve block with no success. In 2005 pain worsened again. Diagnosed with DDD, stenosis, herniated disc at L5, bulge at L4 and L3. Also evidence of bone spurs. My ortho at the time wanted to do a laminectomy because of the stenosis but I decided I would live with the pain as long as possible, had a nerve block with a little success.

I did alright for quite some time and even climbed the ruins at Lamanai BZ, CA within the next 6 months.

Within the last year my pain has increased again. I had been drowning it in bourbon and just "dealing" as best I could. Started PT again about 2 months ago and was making great strides in strength in my left side. Woke up one morning and could not stand straight. Sneezing absolutely excrutiating. Decided to have another MRI.

L5-S1 has severe herniation. Doc allowed me to get another injection last Friday and I don't think it has helped at all. He suggests a PLIF and it scares me. More than the pain, inability scares me and I am trying to learn to deal with limits.

I am so thankful for this site, happy to have found you all! I look forward to the support I know you will offer. My family is bewildered and not sure what to do about my pain. My father has had similar issues, but not until he was in his late 40's, he also physically labored most of his life. He is adamant against surgery and so pretty much a wall when it comes to talking about my condition.

• Hello and welcome to you, Stephanie. OMG, you're going through so much in such a young age! My heart goes out to you.. I'm happy for you that you have no signs of the cervical canser... That's great...

All surgeries are scary you just have to educate yourself on your particular procedure and and or other alternatives if possible and you look forward and go from here.

Please keep posting and let's know how you're doing.

Lotus :)
  • :) hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i see you are doing all you can to avoid surgery. i hope this works out for you. there is information about that procedure at the top of the forum under Conditions and Treatments. good luck with whatever you decide to do. see you around the forum! Jenny :)
  • I think after all you've gone thru and all the pain you've already had doing a surgery might be a big improvement, have you seen a NS?
  • You have been through a lot!
    Glad to hear your cancer free!

Was your dad supportive during that surgery? I know its hard not to have a strong support system. I am lucky my dad is my ROCK, however my mom sometimes makes me feel like its an all in the head syndrome. She's learning, LOL

Know that sometimes the best comes from people who know what your going through. I'm glad you found this board, it has helped me in many ways. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions regarding your surgery (most of my bio-below). You can PM me if I can give you insight on my experiences as well as others here are very knowledgeable.

• For all of your warm welcomes! I grreatly appreciate it!
  • To look back and see what was going on in my head when I originally posted this is funny. No more bourbon for me, or ciggies for that matter. Gave both of those up last year so I could become a candidate for surgery.

I did end up having a two level PLIF in 11/08. I am better than I was pre surgery, but it was a trade off. One type of pain and discomfort for another. Regardless I have no regrets. My lower back is not perfect, and I still have acute pain if I bend over or do things that I should not (bend, lift more than 40lbs, twist in odd ways). I also have muscle spasms and twitches in my back and legs. I have developed nerve damage from where the nerve roots were moved to access the spine during surgery. I have hypersensitivity in my right hip, buttock, and outer thigh that starts at my right incision and radiates from there. I am scheduled to have nerve mapping and a CT done on my lumbar spine to find out what is going on and if a SCS implant or injections would help any (I am thinking this thing prolly ain't going away). And to literally top that, I am having neck and shoulder problems. I am scheduled for an MRI and physio for the neck but the PM thinks I may have some damage there, possibly a pinched nerve. Joy!

I was grateful for the experience of my last surgery, all of it, the things that it brought into and took out of my life. I am not sure what the lesson might be this time around, and I don't feel quite so enthused about it either. Thanks to my spiney friends for your support. I do so apologize for disappearing while things were feeling pretty good. You have been in my thoughts and prayers all along.

One Love,

• good track but for the life of me i carnt think who sang it! {re you opening line } i hope that you find friends and answers here at spine health .all in all its just another brick in the wall .just take the drugs and get ..comfortably numb! the you can be living on an island.cos no one told you where to run you missed the starting gun!! most of that was pink floyd/Dave gilmour lyrics .if you don't listen to them i have just made myself look a fool! anyway back to business hope things work out for you and again welcome