Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hi Everyone,
My PM wants me to do a trial for a SCS and then hopefully an insertion, but I am not sure about it. I had L4/5 laminectomy / disc 2010 - failed, and a L4/5 360 revision lumbar fusion with hardware in 2012 that was brutal. I was only out of pain for about 2 months.
My right leg has become weaker and my walking is very limited. An EMG done post op in 2013 revealed Radiculopathy from L2-S1. Before surgery it was only L5/S1. I have been on pain management since the surgeries.
Since May 2014, till present I have had numerous caudal injections, SI inections. The caudal injections did work initially, but I cannot receive another one for several months. The last caudal only lasted a couple of weeks. The doctor does a caudal because of my previous fusion.
I am concerned about the SCS because I had a Cervical cord injury, a precious Cervical Fusion and auto fused at C3/4/5/6. now have radiculopathy at C7/T1 and suffer from myofacial pain in my upper back. I also have herniated thoracic discs. If the implant is in the mid or

upper back, I am afraid of aggravating the pain.
Also, I received a copy of my Lumbar MRI , My PM doctor had not received this at my last visit.

At L3/l4 there is retrolisthesis of L3 on L4 with a moderate pseudo bulge, facet arthritis, and posterior ligamentous thickening resulting in canal and neural foramininal stenosis at this level. This could effect the exiting right and left L3 and L4 nerve roots & clinical correlation is recommended.
The Radiologist asks to please correlate with findings referable to the right and left L3/ and L4 nerve roots previously in his report, also.

My question is, should I try to follow up on the L3/4 nerve roots? They are adjacent to my fusion. I am not sure exactly what they mean by correlate? But, if they
are the source of my pain/weakness ( also canal stenosis), should I get some opinions as to minimally invasive surgery, or what other options I would have, before I go with the SCS?

I will be so thankful for any thoughts or experiences you have. I also have Addison's Disease, so I am worried about risk of infection. and have been diagnosed with "Sick Sinus Syndrome." I am 63 and was tested by a cardiologist with a Halter Monitor. I am not symptomatic yet, but I may need a Pacemaker at some time in the future. So, they would have to remove the SCS.

Thanks so much.
Take care,
Mary Anne
Take care and God Bless,
Mary Anne