Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical problems - living without surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I had my first cervical fusion c5-c7 in December 2001 and have been symptom free since then until about 2 months ago. Prior to that I had spondy issues with disk slippage at c5 & c6 with all the lovely symptoms (headaches, muscle spasms in my neck, arm numbness and pain, etc.) Prior to that I had 2 lumbar fusions for spondy, stenosis, bone spurs, neuropathy, etc. I was doing very well until last July when my lumbar fusion disintegrated. For the past couple of months I have been having cervical symptoms but didn't want to deal with it because I thought, "how messed up can I be?" and "surely I won't have to deal with that right now also". Well, my primary care doc finally talked me into getting a cervical MRI done - just to check things out. She said if it was nothing, then we could chalk the headaches and muscle spasms, weakness up to stress and go on with life. But, on the off chance that there was something going on with my neck, she wanted to check it out. So, today, I went in for my results. And, I was wrong, I guess I am going to have to deal with this also. My fusion is still in place (thank God) but now I have slippage at c3 & c4, along with more bone spurs, stenosis, etc. The radiologist said the stenosis and bone spurs were moderate with grade 2 slippage at c3 and c4. I really don't want to have another surgery since I just had my lumbar fused Nov 2 and had some pretty nasty complications with it. Is anyone dealing with these issues long term and how is it going? Any advice?

• Geez--you would think once would be enough!! I have not had surgery, and I have some of the same issues. While my severe symptoms have resolved, I still have mild symptoms daily. One of my concerns is the need for a second surgery. However, if I was in severe pain all the time, I would probably have it. I may need to have the surgery sooner or later. Since you have so much experience already, I'm sure you know to get another opinion. Keep us posted!--Mazy
  • Here watch this: you'll know if you want a fusion
    I have one worst choice of my life,...

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Edited by moderator paulgla