Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello everyone. I've been experiencing a number of issues the past 6 months. Neck stiffness/spams, tight/ache shoulder, numbness/tingling in fingers, dizziness, balance issues, occasional tingling/numbness in tight leg, sensations in my face, pulling of the eyes, occasional pain in the eye, scalp tension, upper back pain, ringing in the ears. I've had MRI's of my cervical spine..normal. Got a second opinion..nothing wrong. MRI of brain fine. ENT didn't find any issues and said it was neck issue. Physical therapy told me it was because i said behind a computer all day. I didn't buy that because i have good posture. They didn't know what to do with me. They just told me to stretch. I went to a chiro and he said my c1 was out of alignment and i was applying a lot of pressure to my right leg. I haven't noticed a lot of improvement. Stiffness has subsided. He felt my jaw today and said he could tell I had issues. My jaw was broken in two different places 8 years ago. He's suspecting an issue with my jaw. Has anyone experienced these issues with TMJ?

• I had an injury to the jaw too. Calling it TMJ may or may not be accurate. The problem is that the doctors say it's a medical problem and the doctors say it's a dental problem. and don't even start me on the insurance. I know that there are certain foods that it hurts to eat, sadly mostly the healthy ones, apples, coleslaw, steak... It's no fun.
  • Crazy thing is it doesn't hurt to eat anything. Although, my range of motion in my jaw has never been the same. I'm wearing a night guard to bed and while working out now so I don't grind my teeth. I can tell a difference in the neck. When i wake up my jaw is really stiff and feels dislocated. It takes a few hours to return to normal. Did you have similar issues? I don't experience any TMJ pain..very rarely.
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    Dilaro just posted about Myofascial release and massage....post "It's that time of year again"....or something like that, and this website has article on it also.

Many years ago I received the treatment for TMJ from a chiropractor, which was successful. Mine was from having dental work done though, no accident or anything broken.

Hope you get relief soon!
  • Thanks Sheri. I'm just so happy to be close to resolving the issue. Did you have similar symptoms as me?
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    edited 10/08/2015 - 7:07 AM
    I had problems with cervical bone spurs, thankfully they aren't in spinal column area. It only bothers me to lower head down repeatedly, or even for short lengths of time, so I just avoid that.

The TMJ was after cervical issues had subsided. I still have ringing in years, is worse now, but ENT currently doesn't seem concerned about it.

I do have from time to time neck soreness, since my March lumbar fusion seems like more often, but that may be from having to use muscles on that side of body more...doing log roll getting in and out of bed. That right side is also where I have the rotor cuff tendinitis, which I believe is causing swollen muscles in collarbone, and neck.

I've had vertigo for years, from walking in to something, knocking calcium deposits from inside ear, causing imbalance. My body has adjusted to it over time, I only notice it briefly when laying down with head to left.

If I rise to fast from sitting I occasionally get dizzy, but I think that's from low blood pressure at times.

For you having leg issues/symptoms, I would think it would have more to do with lower back.

Keep us posted, and hope things improve for you soon.
  • I've had a an MRI of my lumbar. I had a narrowing disc at L5..but my neuro and primary doctor were not concerned about it at all. They told me I probably had that my entire life. They did an EMG and everything was fine. My chiro said my hip was way out of place and I was applying more pressure to my right leg. I can feel it when I walk, too. I can tell I apply more pressure to the right leg.
  • For me personally, my TMJ manifests at consistent popping of my jaw when i open my mouth, pain in the joint and in my ear.

As far as finding nothing wrong on MRI, I ended up having to have a discogram to diagnose my spinal issues. They put you under light sedation (Versed or Valium) and inject dye into your discs to see if they're torn. They also as you about your pain level, but on those medications you can talk but remember nothing.

Something to discuss with your doctor. It's an older test, but it was very valuable to me.
  • I had jaw surgery about seven years ago. It really hasn't been the same since. My ears pop and I sometimes hear grinding when I yawn. I went back to my neuro a couple of weeks ago before I thought of TMJ and he told me not to worry. I just had some nerve inflammation in my lower spine somewhere. I told him about the unbalanced feeling and the dizziness. He told me that was normal with the muscle contractions. He told me just to take ibu until it healed. He said it was ok to lift weights..just be weary of overhead movements. I even told him about the headaches and sensations in the face and he didn't seem to be worried at all. Back in May he suspected MS but the MRI was normal. When I told my chiro about the sensations in my face he suspected a jaw issue. I'm not going to any doctors for a while. I've seen 2 neuro's, ortho, ENT, Rheumy, and my primary doctor countless times and none of them seem concerned.
  • I will also say it has been harder to open my mouth to eat since the neck stiffness came along.