Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Weening from Oxycontin to Percocet the same thing?

Hello all,

I am now 5 weeks post op from my 360 fusion with bone graft harvest. Was hospitalized for 4 days, home for 2 then back for another 5 due to internal bleeding, hematomas and low hemaglobin (3). So really only about 3 weeks out of the hospital. I went home on 20 mg Oxycontin(every 12 hrs) extended release; 2mg dilauded (every 6 hrs) and valium 10mg (every hrs); plus the normal Neurontin and other vitamins I take.

I went from 20mg to 10mg ES and totally off dilauded with no problem, and replaced with percocet 10/325mg for breakthrough pain. But now getting off the 10mg Oxy ES and replacing the valium with soma 300 mg just is tough. I am now off the Oxy 10mg and the percocet is my main pain reliever. The soma doesnt do it for me though. The spasms are pretty intense.

Im worried about being too dependent on the percocet now. I take 1.5 in the morning and I am really hurting then-because I sleep through the night without waking up, and if I do, I try to take a walk to beat the stiffness in the morning, and just get back to sleep to heal. Then 6 hours later, I take 1 more pill; then at night I take 1.5. This is in place of me taking 2 in the morning and 2 at night. Does anything have any idea if I am taking the same amount of the Oxy 10mg ES just replaced with only percocet now? The withdrawal your body feels is awful even if on them only a couple weeks so I do not want to go back to it; but I also want to lower my oxycodone intake so its not too hard of a process of getting off it so I can drive and get some independence back as long as my pain is under control.

Thanks so much for anyone's input.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,849
    approved drug reducing process in place. I've always discussed with my doctor on how we were going to approach a certain medication. Each medication have their own tampering techniques. In terms of narcotics, so much depends on how long you have been on them, the dosage , etc. Not always as important as to what type.

But it is also very important to make sure during this period you drink more and more and more water.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com