Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Give me one thing back

We all know that spinal problems can take away some of the things we were always used to. Sometimes, its just a tempoary situation, at times it may be more permanent.

And we all know that when you have spinal problems, its not just one thing that bothers you

• - Legs
    - Lower/Upper back
    - Arms and hands
    - Tingling
    - Nerves and numbness
    - Lack of sleep
    - Irritable
    - Constant pain
    - Nausea
    - Can not eat
    - etc
Those things at one time or another seem to impact us in some one.

But now, think if there was ONE thing that you want back, what would it be?
Please give tell us about that one thing and why.
Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,878
    I just wish I didnt have to need caretakers. Too many, especially my wife and my family spend way too much energy worrying about me, making sure that I am ok, etc.

I'd take the pain and discomfort any day to know that no one else really had to worry about me.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 497
    I love to dance, so having my stronger lower back back, would help all around; better sleep, less irritability (endorphins from dancing.... could dance for hours), just something I enjoyed doing.

Since lumbar fusion last March, dancing just isn't the same...though I think, hope, with time that will improve....maybe will discover a different way/style of movement that gives me similar satisfaction.
  • I want my $40hr career back. What I did was dirty, physical and a pain in the butt at times but it afforded me a decent living and I got a daily workout from it. I liked seeing the fruits of my labor when a job was done.
    September 2014 : T6 burst fracture, multilevel fusion from T4-T8
    Ron....I'm sure your family's care for you brings them joy.... I know I enjoy taking care of people, especially those I love.

Brian247....the money part of your job sounds great, but it sounds like it could take a toll on your body. I've been struggling with the decision of returing to my work, if I'm physically ever able to. I think I would rather have less so I don't have to work as hard as I used to, possibly hurting my spine further. But I hear you, and understand where you're coming from.
  • I miss my job a lot, too. It was too physical to continue. I'd also take more use of my left arm. I'm left-handed, and I can barely write and driving is hard. I'd also take a good night's sleep while we're at it. I haven't been able to get more than 4-5 hours consistently in weeks.
  • Just to be able to sit and read a good book. I've always loved to read, used to go for hours at a time. Haven't been able to sit comfortably in over 4 years.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 10/09/2015 - 10:31 PM
    ...I could be consistently independent in driving my car.
    So often I feel impaired. ....Medication, maybe, ...lack of sleep, probably, ....increased pain, often.

More often, I am taking advantage of online shopping, esp to stores like Walmart where much of what I need is there.
    I'll do "site to store" for cleaning products ....to toothpaste....just anything I need.

Then when my friend is able, it is just a matter of picking up the items in one location.
    Saves me from the exhaustion of having to walk all around store, also.

Wish I had more "spoons" :)

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• My Memory,
    Slip sliding away..as Paul Simon said.
    William Garza
    Spine-Health Mod

Welcome to Spine-Health

• That one touch's the heart. I would love to spend a day with my kids and grandkids smiling and not having the pain screaming in the background.
    Oh and just 6 or 7 hours of sleep snuggled up in a big fluffy quilt.
    Sorry more than one.
  • Prior to my saga I used to sleep reasonably well. The only thing waking me in the night was a child. I'm now so restless I drive my hubby crazy & spend at least 1-2 nights a week in the spare room.

Microdiscectomy L5S1 January 2014
    Microdiscectomy L5S1 March 2014
    Fusion L5S1 11th August 2014
  • Edit. Xxxxxxxxxx. Edit xxxxxxx
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • gfishggfish Pittsburgh PAPosts: 160
    Like Brian said.. To work. Have you ever met someone that can do or fix just about anything. That was me. Really missed having no flowers outside. There was no way I could bend down to plant them and and take care of them.
    Greg fisher
    edited 10/28/2015 - 12:52 AM
    Yes, I knew of someone like that too. He was killed in a motorcycle accident some years ago, and I'm sure he is sadly missed by many people since.....not just for his thousands of skills, but his personality.....when he was around you knew it, first by his unique audible style of communication, mainly his laughter. And the absence of his life was so deafening, the silence of him not being where he usually was is heartbreaking.

Since my fusion this past March I've had to become creative in doing things so I don't have to rely on others to always be around . But like you, getting down to the ground is still something I really struggle with, so my grabber is still my closest friend.

I believe we go through things for a reason, there can be something good extracted from the bad, sometimes we may not see it there at the time, but it's there.
  • I want to be able to run and play with my kids. I feel like they missed out having me as a mom sometimes.
    edited 11/24/2015 - 2:27 PM
    Through the years I have learned to look at the unpleasant, and painful circumstances in my life, and see that an unexpected path, no matter how disappointing it may be, can be woven into bringing out something good.

I can't count how many times I've had irritating things arise while trying to get ready to go somewhere, and now I can allow myself not to get all upset about it, or at myself, because too many times I've arrived to where an accident had recently happened. I know thinking in those terms can be upsetting for those who have been the ones in the accident. And I know it's easy for me to say, but even in the midst of being involved in something life altering, we can choose to make life better for ourselves, and for those around us, a better place to be.

Why some have grimmer circumstances than others, I cannot say for sure, but I believe that is where, when, and how the Light of the world can shine the brightest.