Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Physician doing Posterior Endoscopic (Cervical) Discectomy / Foraminotomy

davidjameshuntddavidjameshunt Posts: 1
edited 10/09/2015 - 9:53 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Aloha. I've been following Spine-Health since shortly after it began, but just registered so that I can post on the forums.

My name is David, I am 60, very fit, active and healthy. I am 5'9, 134 lbs. I need your help.

No family history of neck or back disease.

22 years ago I had a 60 mph meeting with a 1300 lb. moose (in a little VW Rabbit which "became a convertible"). . . . . not good.
Lots of maxofacial reconstruction - 5 months "wired" shut maxilla / mandible...
I also sufferred a herniated disc, and a fusion was recommended at the time - but barely able to breathe / eat, I opted to wait.
I've lived with it for 22 years . . . LOTS of PT, yoga, massage, acupuncture, and BOTH epidural and nerve root block injections.

I have a high threshold for pain . . . I'm not sure if that is good or bad. The pain in my neck and arms has finally become more than I can tolerate some days, though I am extremely reticent to use pain meds. I finally went to my doc's PA in July. She sent me for another MRI. (I had them in 2009, 2006, and soon after my "moosestake" in 1993.)

I NOW have C4-C5, C5-C6, and C6-C7 deterioration:
C3-C4 Mild disc degenrative change. slight anterolisthesis. Posterior facet, unconvertebral joint hypertrophic change left worse than right (moderate + left, mild right neural foramina narrowing.
C4-C5 Moderate to marked degenerative R neural foramina narrowing
C5-C6 Moderate to marked degenerative bilateral neural foramina narrowing right worse than left
C6-C7 Moderate to marked degenreative bilateral neiral foramina narrowing, mild canal stenosis

From my most recent MRI, my Dr. referred me to a local neurosurgeon (NS). The NS wants to perform surgery to remove all 3 discs and fusion (cage and stainless steel plate) from C3 to C7 (3 discs 4 vertabrae).

I asked him about other surgical options (having already done quite a bit of research over the years) and he basically said I had none. Not very happy with him.... for several reasons that don't need discussing....

After doing further research on Cervical Endoscopic Surgeries (Posterior Endoscopic Cervical Discectomy and Foraminotomy) and laser utilization in discectomies, I'd like to be evaluated for suitability.... I like what I have read to date: that it is less invasive, less risk, quicker surgical recovery, restricts range of motion less, and does not simply transfer rotation (and the associated wear and tear) to the adjoining levels...

The problem is there are NO doctors in my area that DO this surgery. (North Idaho / Eastern Washington). I am willing to travel for this newer surgical proceedure if I am determined to be a good candidate.. I imagine I can SEND my recent MRI and MRI Patient Report initially....

So . . . I'd like to know of Surgeons in the US who DO perform this proceedure and if you have any feedback, recommendations, or concerns about a particular surgeon. As I mentioned, I am willing to travel. (My med. insurance did approve me for the NS's recommended fusion surgery - Iimagine they'll cover this newer proceedure.)

I will be seeing my personal Dr. TB (who is a great guy and a personal friend) 10/20 (ON my 60th birthday . . . oh well...!!) I will seek his assistance in finding a NS to refer me to. BTW: It was Dr. TB's new PA who referred me for my most recent MRO and then to this local NS.... (Dr. TB later commented that he "often refers to another NS" - but of course, that NS does not perform these newer surgical proceedures either.)

I welcome and appreciater your experience, knowledge, recommendations, or cautions!

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I've read so many posting responses from Spine-Health asking posters to include the information that I've tried to include in my post here....

Mahalo Mucho! (thanks)
David
advertisement

Comments

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,940
    edited 10/09/2015 - 10:17 AM
    We are not allowed to mention physicians by name, neither as preferred or not preferred by members.

We do have a "Find a doctor" on left of page. That may help you with your research in finding someone to discuss your preferred treatment/surgical choices.
    Sue
    Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The best way to discover who is doing the new procedure is to pull the research articles, and then look at where the authors are affiliated. Generally it will be a large teaching hospital. I can tell you it will not be easy. I became very enamored with a direct repair of my pars fracture, and 5 consults later, I have come to realize I am a terrible candidate for that procedure. To learn this, I simply called the offices of the physicians who had published.
    You would also want to check if your insurance truly will cover a newer procedure. Often they are still considered "experimental" and then nothing will be covered. In addition, depending on your insurance, you may or may not be covered outside of your region.
    In addition, be aware that many surgeons will review your record, but they may charge a fee. I know for me the fee wouldn't have limited me but for some people that is a limiter.

There are a few very big major medical centers on the east coast that will do a tele consult with you...but it costs about 500.00 and is generally not covered by insurance.

I would also say, be prepared that you may not actually be a good candidate for that type of repair. Once i found a surgeon I really liked, he explained in great detail why the procedure I was so interested in would just result in more pain for me, so I'm now waiting to be scheduled for a regular old One level fusion and crossing my fingers.

Good luck to you. I know all that sounded negative. I should probably say i think it is great you are trying to get the best outcome possible...It is what I did as well!