Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Psoriatic Arthritis with newly diagnosed osteoporosis, and recent Thoracic Spine Compression Fractur

Glenda49GGlenda49 Posts: 1
edited 10/10/2015 - 11:37 AM in New Member Introductions
I'm 49 years old, and over the last 5years I've had my left and right hips fractured, and stablized with rods and screws after the first break, then each hip fractured one more time each. First the left, then right, then left again, then right again. I had so much pain after this that my doctors had many tests completed and found no reasons due to health for the hips to fracture. There were no accidents or falls. I was referred to a rheumatologisty because an internal medicine doctor thought I might have psoriatic arthritis, and the extra inflamation was damaging my bones. I had my last hip fracture after just getting started on the arthritis medicine in the summer of 2014. I followed the same recovery routine for PT as my previous hip fractures. The arthritis medicine started to work as I healed, and everything seemed to be going great. The medicine helped me lose 25 pounds which took some pressure off my bones to. During the summer of 2015 I had fully returned to my exercise routine of running 3 miles per day 5 to 6 days per week. On the 19th of June I decided to go swimming with my grandkids, and I thought I might start cross training with swimming some laps in between jogging days. I swam 500 yards, 100 yards at a time. That evening I started to get this burning pain in the middle of my back just under the shoulder blades. It seemed to radiate toward my right side. It was definitely a muscle spasm. I thought maybe it was due to the change in my exercise routine. I followed the procedure for rest, ice, and worked on that pain. It had been a while since I had pain that bad again, but I knew by the burning, and stinging I might have moved just right to fracture a rib or something. I went to the doctor, and he put me on muscle relaxers, and had me go to the lab for X-Rays. My primary doctor called me back that next day and said they found nothing broken, and that I probably pulled muscles in an area of muscles that hadn't been used for a while. I spent most of July being careful and using ice and heating pads. The pain just didn't seem to be getting better. I went on vacation with my family feeling miserable, and taking part as much as I could, but the pain would barely be quieted with the pain killers, arthritis medicine's, and muscle relaxers. Plus I had been taking lyrica for fibromyalgia so that should have been plenty to take the pain away, but it bare did. I am a teacher, and after vacation in July I had to go back to work the first or second week of August. I decided maybe I needed to see a chiropractor to help releive the pain. Swimming would help, and so did hot tubs, but I was worried as to why all these new symptoms.
I went to the initial visit with the chiropractor. He did the usual exam. I was trying work, and make the appointments fit into the schedule. I kept getting these calls from the chiropractor's secretary and she said that I really really needed to come in and see the Dr. ASAP so I went, and the Dr. sat me down, put up the X-Rays and showed me that I had a starting fracture in the T7 vertabrae, and the T8 had completely fractured, and completely collapsed. For some reason I had this really bad feeling. He said I had to have this treated and fixed immediately so that it wouldn't cause more damage, and heal wrong. I called my primary care physician, and he referred me to an orthopedic surgeon in our town. I went to see this surgeon, and he ordered an MRI. It was scheduled for a couple of days away. Over that evening I had my third episode of bladder and bowel incontinence while sleeping. I just summed it up to another reaction to what my back was dealing with. I went in to work and started working, but about thirty minutes into getting started I developed double vision, and I could barely stand up and move around. I was nauseated, and I started having another episode of incontinence. I called my eye doctor first, and he said it wasn't a vision problem and to call the orthopedist who ordered the MRI. I left the message with the secretary, and he called me back within 10 minutes. He told me to go straight to the ER, and do nothing else. I called my husband and had to let everyone know at work what was going on. At the ER they put an IV in immediately, and scheduled the MRI. About hour later the orthopedist surgeon came in, and he told me that I would have to go by ambulance to a much larger hospital that dealt with spinal issues. I had to go through cat scans with and without dye. Then another MRI. Plus I started breaking out with psoriatic lesions. They put me through every test known to man because of the sores, and finally all the doctors came to the decision to have me go through Kyphoplasty for both the vertabrae. The other MRI lead the main doctor to order a complete body MRI with and without dye. I spent about an hour and a half in the MRI tube because I was in pain trying to lay flat on my back, and not move. So once the kyphoplasty was completed, I was visited by neurologist who cleared me of any spinal chord damage, and then a kidney doctor came in. He explained that the MRI's were redone because they thought they saw something on my left kidney. He said there had been damage sometime, he couldn't tell what the damage was from, but he said the kidney wasn't functioning at all. It wasn't causing problems, but it was just there. He said my right kidney was working at 100%. Thank God for that good news. He recommended that I not have the other kidney worked on and to heal from the back injuries. Well after that doctor came an orthopedic doctor came in and gave me news that shocked me, and I'm still reeling from. I went from good bones to osteoporosis over a 2 to 3 year period. So I'm still recoverying from everything that happened during this last experience I'm in a deep deep depression to find out about osteoporosis. I have always been a health nut, and exercised. I had been on a Vitamin D3, and Calcium regimine ever since I had my first fracture. I cry every day over this. I don't know where to get help for osteoporosis care, nor do I trust that medicines for it work because of research I've done over the latest osteoporosis medicine. They have taken many off the market due to research that showed the medicines actually caused more damage. Is there anybody who can help?
Desperately seeking a miracle
Glenda Jean