Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Trigger Point Injections? advice

Aubrey333AAubrey333 Posts: 3
edited 10/10/2015 - 10:32 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My neck was broken when I was 16. C-2 broke in two places and I walked away from the car accident. I was in a halo vest for 5 months no surgery. Now I am 42 and the pain is getting progressively worse. I can tolerate mild daily pain. It's the acute episodes when the pain is so severe and my shoulders muscles get so tight. I wake up in pain and can not sleep. At it's most severe i wear my neck collar, if i cough i get an electric shock type feeling shooting down my arms. I feel tired from trying to hold my head up, if that makes any sense. I don't want to just keep taking pain killers. I feel the doctors don't understand how much pain I am in. I need advice in new treatment options. has anyone had experience with TPI?

MRI results 7/29/2015
There is mild straightening of the cervical spine. Otherwise, alignment is
maintained. Degenerative changes at the atlantoaxial joint are present.
Vertebral body height and bone marrow signal are maintained.

There is disk desiccation at C5-6. The visible spinal cord is unremarkable in
signal and morphology.

Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
- Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)
- Medical advice of any kind
- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etc

Liz ...Spine-health moderator

• If you have decent insurance or can afford it out of pocket, I would advise you to see a pain and rehab doctor and see if the doctor will do trigger point injections. I think having them would be the only way to know if they provide relief.

I had one set of trigger point injections (for $350, plus $300 office consultation, so $650 total) for neck pain. We did not use a steroid, only lidocaine because I was paranoid about steroids (a paranoia I have since gotten over -- I'm currently on oral steroids, which are helping tremendously with pain). The injections perhaps provided a tiny bit of temporary relief, but not enough that I want to keep shelling out $400 - $500 a pop -- I think subsequent visits would be cheaper than my initial $650 visit).

If the financials work for you, I say give trigger point injections a shot. You have little to lose other than money and they might help.
    C6-C7 fusion -January 20, 2016
  • If you have insurance, i would go for it. I have found these to be helpful. It depends on where the pain is, though...

My primary complaint is headache, with neck pain. My bulging discs are from C2-3, C3-4 (with severe narrowing of the spinal canal), C4-5, and C5-6. I have been having trigger point injections every two months for the last five years.

If you have pain radiating into your arm, you might be a better candidate for an epidural injection, instead of trigger point. The steroid only lasts for 4-6 weeks; so there is still a 2-4 week period of regular pain that I have to deal with after the steroid has worn off.

I'm going in for my first radiofrequency ablation on Wednesday... I had the two diagnostic tests, and determined that this should be a good treatment. It is supposed to last longer, pain relief wise.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History