Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

CT Myelogram after PLIF?

alcbaalcb Posts: 140
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Ok...a little freaked out. I had PLIF Nov.'07. Kind of a wierd case (see my signature), so I have continued pain and increasing weakness in my L leg. So, surgeon mentioned a couple of months ago that I could get a CT and then see him in Aug....in the meantime consider ALIF on L5/S1. Well, nurse called today and said they are getting me set up for my CT/Myelogram!!! I am freaking out b/c 1st of all I am NOT thrilled with the thought of someone sticking needles right in the middle of my scar. 2nd, I am in horrible pain with ANYTHING that increases my CSF pressure already, and now they want to put MORE fluid in there! 3rd, I wasn't looking forward to lying still that whole time b/c I knew it was going to be painful..now I have #1 and #2 on top of that. Anyone out there able to aleve my fears????? I've had ESI injections before, and I'm just equating that with the pain I'm already having....uuuuggghhhh. This just isn't getting any easier! If there's that one in a million chance of things going wrong...it's gonna be me! :O Oh, yeah....I have this to think about as I get an ultrasound on my thyroid in the next week to see if the nodules I have are growing. If that's the case, then I get needles to the windpipe to biopsy for cancer. Having a bad day. :(
Please help!!! -Andrea

• I just had that done 8 days ago. I am 13 weeks post op spinal fusion. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I received a shot of valium and morphine 20 minutes before the test which helped to calm me down because I was about ready to have a panic attack. I felt just a little pinch from the anesthetic injection and slight burning from the dye. The whole procedure lasted about 15 minutes. I too was very worried about laying down on my stomach but maybe you're doctor can give you something strong for the pain before the test. I am so sorry for all you are going through right now. If you really don't want to do this test talk to your doctor. Maybe there is a differnt test you can do. I was worried about taking the myelogram but I trusted my doctor at the time and now I understand why I needed it done. Good luck to you and many prayers!
  • Thanks so much to both of you for the thoughts and information! I'm just having a hard time right now, and feeling very overwhelmed. I can always count on sweet people on this site to help! I greatly appreciate it! It's truly the one place I can come to where people totally understand the impact this has on your life. I shouldn't complain, people out there are having bigger issues than me...things that are life and death. The chronic nature of all this just wears you down. I will try to have a more positive attitude, and I do think the myelogram is the best thing. I just need to be VERY medicatied before having it done! ;) Thanks!!! Andrea
  • I just had mine on Friday. I didn't have any headaches. I did ask for a valium and that helped.

Praise God, like I said no headaches, not shooting pains down my legs.

I followed all the instructions, but after the numbing went away I had severe back pain.

I went back to work on Monday. Yes, I'm still hurting but it is the same as before. I can't sit long at all.

I'm scheduled for a review on Wednesday. I pray no more surgery to fix the mess.

Don't know what to expect. Just sick of being in pain all the time.

Hang in there and make sure to rest and drink plenty of fluids. My kidney was hurting so I upped the fluids.

Now what??? I tried viewing the pictures but they don't mean a thing to me.

Hope all goes well with you.

11/30/2010- 360 bi level fusion L4 L5, L5 S1
    7/5/12-Revised surgery. Remv of loose hwdware, replace 6 pedicle screws and 5.5 titanium rods. Inferior laminotomy R L5 and facetectomy to deep ligamentum.
    2014 MRI indicates L3-L4 disc bulge,