Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

bad news no surgery

dmoonchildddmoonchild Posts: 383
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:19 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I went to see my surgeon today and right away he said no way. Your back is way gone beyond any help. He will noe perorm any surgery. I cried like a baby. Im am so depressed right now, I cant stop crying. He said iLL BE WITH PAIN MANAGEMENT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. And the DDD will get worse. I am so distraught. I even considered taking all of my meds at once. I cant deal witht this. I am scheduling a 2nd opinion with the top surgeon in our area. Also I am switchin pain management dr. as long as she will let me out of the contract. How hard is it to get out of the contract? I am so sad.

• Hi,
    Firstly what sort of Dr is this person? BE strong, get a second opinion. I too have DDD and a a result of herniated discs had a two level fusion 12 weeks ago!! It is your back and your pain, be persistent. Don't give in you have two little ones that are depending on you. In terms of contracts with your pain Dr, sorry cant help there, in Australia we dont have to sign a contract for continued treatment. Good luck, stay strong and know our thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Di X
  • I am sorry your surgeon said no surgury,i have been told that i cant have any surgury too.it is good to see your going for a second opinion,you take care
  • You will find someone that will help you. You will find that almost every doc has a different opinion. If all else fails (like it did for me) than maybe you will find great relief with PM. Alot of people here have. It is just a matter of finding the right doc. Keep looking and you will find him/her.
  • Don't let that guy do that to you!
    You have to keep looking! There is someone out there that can help you. The thing of it is tho, is you have to dig and dig and dig till you find that someone.
    Fight for your health, for your well-being, and for the future.
    You can TOTALLY do it!
    I'll be cheering for you!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008

• It can be very hard when a diagnosis bogs you down, but remember we are fortunate to have the option for more opinions so keep the faith!!!

Just keep your two children in your heart for strength and remember that you have support here as well.
  • It will be ok. It may take longer than you expected but there is an answer to this. I have thought about taking all my meds at once as well and then I think about how I want to see my daughter graduate college and get married and all that goofy stuff us parents wait for.
  • We were told the same thing about my husband by a handful of NS. A radiologist told us to try a OS and we then had several of them tell us the same thing. We kept looking (I'm really stubborn!!), travelled to several of the accademic spine fellowship programs across the country and found 3 surgeons who thought they could help my husband. We worked hard to find 2 opinions that matched, selected the OS we felt most comfortable with and took a gamble. I say took a gamble b/c we did have so many docs tell us nothing could be done; his revision surgery was complicated. Chris is now 14 weeks out from surgery and although he still has a long way to go to be completely healed & functional, he is walking 4-6 miles per day and is on less narcotics than before surgery. We won't know for awhile if he actually fuses and gets off the narcs, but we do have hope at this point. So, pick a surgeon that docuses on complicated cases and do not give up. Terri
  • Don't ever take the worst news as the final say. Especially if you have not seen another doctor. Dont let anyone write you off like that!

I would even consider getting 3-4 opinions total. Differenct doctors have different approaches. You dont say how old you are but to tell someone they will have to live with something forever is a mighty tall sentence.

As far as pain mgnm. Not sure what the rules of the contracts are but I would call the pain docs office and ask.

Keep looking for answers!

• Get a second opinion, and if it comes back the same, still don't give up hope. People don't realise just what a positive impact a good pain management program can have on your physical and mental wellbeing. I always had a negative view on it until I actually found out what's involved. So, as hard as this is now, once you've got over the shock of hearing this you CAN deal with it. You will find a way to live with this. I wish I could find a way to take your pain away, but I can't :( So, you'll just have to settle for a gentle hug instead. I hope you're feeling a little calmer. Remember - you CAN get through this, never give up hope. Hugs, Spicey
  • Ive been in bed crying for 2 days now, Im not giving up. Im pissed off now! How dare that jerk say no to me without any explanation. Farts on him! I have found a new PM Doc. All I have to do is write a letter to my current Pm to be released. My appontment with the new PM is July 31st. Also I have sent my MRI results to A fabulous NS at Penn Hospital. He is world renowned. Maybe this was the best thing to happen. And I WOULD NEVER take all my pills, I was just feeling very sorry for myself. But now Im Pissed...LOOK OUT when I get pissed! Ask my hubby, he knows.
    Thanks for all of your support. I LOVE you all!
  • As we searched for a OS for my hubby, one of the consults we had was at Temple University. We really liked the OS even though we ended up choosing a surgeon at Duke. The OS at Temple came highly recommended from our PM doc whom we love. If you want info on the Temple OS let me know. Terri
  • I could "hear" your distress in your post and am so glad that you are moving forward and getting new doctors. What's that saying -"What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger"
    I wish you the best.
  • The first surgeon I went to 5 years ago wrote a report that "I walked freely around the office" and that I was exaggerating the pain! My 2nd opinion surgeon (still my surgeon!) did an emergency fusion which gave me some relief!

I have DDD at most levels and still have nerve pain after 3 levels fused. Getting hardware removal Tuesday.

Find a new doctor as soon as possible! I have never had a pain management contract - I go as needed.

We just all have to keep trying to get as well as we can! If you get depressed email one of us with a private message and we will give you the support you need! Most of us have been that discouraged at times, but it will pass.
  • Was it a work-comp "surgery denied?" If so, do you have any other health insurance? My injury happened on the job, I jumped through 11 months of "work-comp" hoops. Had 4 cortisone epidural injections, didn't work. Three of THEIR surgeons said I needed a "three level spinal fusion", "not to do PT because it would just make my situation worse". Well work-comp insurance attorneys didn't like hearing that "I needed surgery". (My god, MRI's and x-rays don't lie!!) so they sent me to a forth surgeon. Didn't find out until it was too late that he was a IME (independent medical examiner, orthopedic surgeon) By Colorado law, I had a right to pick MY OWN IME. Anyway he told work-comp, "Patient does not need surgery, basically, "take two asprins and go to bed" crap. Well thats just what the attorneys for the insured wanted to hear. Bad thing is, that was last July 07'. (injury was March 07')

So then I didn't hear another word, no follow-ups with any doctors, no nothing from July till Dec. During those 5 months, I just layed on the couch, unable to do anything!! HAD an attorney that was not giving me any advise, or returning phone calls, for that fact for those 5 months.

I finally just took it upon myself to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!! I am fortunate enough to have MY OWN health insurance through my Husbands employment. So I made the appointment, not knowing if they would do anything or not, due to it being an "on the job injury". I took in my MRI's, x-rays, the three w/c surgeons reports, report on my steriod injections. Man I tell you what,...it was then just a "whirl wind" of appointments, tests, new MRI's. My Neurosurgeon could not beleive that work-comp didn't approve my surgery, that I was in dier need of surgery asap!!! He really couldn't understand why they just left me in incredible pain for that length of time!!!

So it was Dec.07' till Feb.8th,08', testing, pictures etc. I finally had my three level fusion. NOW, I have a huge lawsuit going with two NEW awesome attorneys. We're going after 250k. All the proof is on my side.

I guess their attorneys for the w/c insurance company is NOW backstepping..... saying, oh "Maybe she did need surgery".... duh?????? Now their being suied for more money than it would have cost them in the first place!!! Plus I get to keep MY Neurosurgeon, they have to pay for all future medical needs, lost wages for 16 months, all perscriptions, mileage & future mileage. My surgery and everything involved with my surgery totalled around 250k. (thank god, my co-pay is only 2k out of that) so that's what my attorneys are going after, is the REAL amount of everything.

So I was just curious, if your situation is a work related injury?