Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What causes cyclical sciatica?

I am hoping someone may be able to answer my questions about having sciatica on and off. A brief history. Started with sciatica right leg Jan 2012. Followed conservative treatments, but was unable to move and severe leg numbness and foot drop so had microdiscectomy July 2012 L5S1. Although prior MRI showed small herniation, during surgery, disc had leaked fluid and was in small fragments (don't know technical terms) so surgeon had to remove all fragments not attached to disc and left around 30-40% disc. Sciatica disappeared immediately posy surgery!

In last 3 years, I've been experiencing chronic back pain and sciatica, but in last year have noticed it has a pattern. It is not constant and is linked to my monthly cycle. For 2 weeks around the time of the month, my back feels unstable and will often lock up, sometimes causing sciatica. I recently went on a contraceptive pill and had no periods. No pain once! Now I've come off it and back pain/sciatica has come back worse than ever. For last two weeks, been in bed in agony with loss of sensation in right leg again. My physio believes that my disc is slipping in and out ( sorry again not technical) but causing sciatica on and off. I know people can have pain on and off for many years, but can it be this cyclical and could it be due to instability in the spine?
Have any other women experienced a link between monthly cycles and sciatica?
Thanks for your responses,