Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Question about medication

As a regular member on this forum, I am very aware of the ins and outs of managing pain. However, this past week I was taken by surprise by what I thought was appendicitis. My primary physician sent me to the ER, where the attending physician was certain it WAS my appendix until they did a CAT scan. Turns out to be uterine fibroids. OUCH.

I told the ER doc about my on-going pain management for my back. He wrote me a prescription for Lortab 7.5/325 (a total of 15) to be taken every 6 hours. My dosage for my back pain is 7.5 twice a day. Before filling it, I called my pain management doc and explained the situation. Good to go.....

However, the pharmacist at CVS would not fill it. He said I had to get it approved by the pain management person because the script was not different from the one I already have. I called the PM back, explained, and the nurse called the pharmacist. As I stood there, (growing increasingly more embarassed), the pharmacist refused to fill it unless I had a script written with a different dosage. Or he said I could go back to the ER and get that doc to write it differently. ??

So the PM doc said I could take more of what I had, and I will see him tomorrow morning.

My real question is if I should change pharmacies. I've gone to this one for at least 30 years!

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you may have.

• Betty65BBetty65 FloridaPosts: 83
    Well I answered my own question. After speaking at length this morning with my PM doc, he said I would probably encounter the same situation no matter what pharmacy I go to. He changed the way the prescription was written and CVS accepted it. Go figure.
  • Was the same strength as your pm prescription that the pharmacy wouldn't fill it. Insurance companies , federal and state and pharmacy regulations all play a role in when a scheduled medication can be dispensed, and two overlapping prescriptions for the same medication and strength would cause them to question or refuse to fill .

• n2bravesnn2braves Posts: 68
    edited 10/14/2015 - 9:01 AM
    Woke up one morning and had severe nausea. It went on for 2 days and I was having wd symptoms due to not being able to keep meds in my system. The pills were coming up almost immediately after taking them so I would go as long as I could and then take Zofran and try a half a pill but it just wasn't working. Called my PM office and they said to go to the ER and get IV nausea meds and possibly fluids.

The ER doc was really wonderful to me and gave me fluids and Zofran IV. He asked me how many meds I had lost and asked if I was possibly going to run short. Well because my refill was due in two days, I was going to run short. My plan was to cut remaining meds in half but this Doc said no, I was already sick and my body had gone thru enough so before I left he gave me a script for 10 Percocet. He had already called my PM and they said it was fine to fill it.

The ER I go to is in a town about a half hour from my home and I go there because my PM asked me to because that is where he works out of and all the Docs know him there. So I went to Walgreens just up the road from that particular ER. Well the tech came out and told me she couldn't fill it without an OK from PM due to my pain contract. So I waited for her to call and they were gone to lunch. I took the script back and told her that instead of waiting we would just start home and by the time we got there they would be back from lunch and I would just stop by the office and talk to the nurse before going to the Walgreens that have known me for the past 15 years.

The nurse was there when we got to the office and told her what happened. She kinda laughed and said "I don't know what the problem is, this is only for 10 pills" and sent me off to Walgreens with instructions to have them call her if they had a problem. Took script in and handed it to the tech and told her what they said at the other Walgreens and that they could call the nurse if need be. She said no they didn't have to do that unless they suspected abuse and there was none here.

First time I have ever gotten a script at the ER and hopefully the last time. The hospital called me a few days later doing a survey about how my ER visit went. I asked if she could pass along a big Thank you to the Doctor who saw me. He made me feel very comfortable about being there and went above and beyond what many ER docs would do. She asked why I didn't use the ER in our town and I told her what the PM had said and told her that the atmosphere in their ER is so welcoming and in our town it is not. I have been physically sick with anxiety at just the thought of going to our ER. They treat people terribly at times.