Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I Even Get A second Injection? :(

Hello all- I need some advise. Please?
I'm a 49 year old female with almost unbearable left side low back and hip pain for the last two years. (Almost only while sitting which I do 10 hours a day at work). I do have several bulging discs and some pinched nerves from working physically demanding jobs most of my life but when I had the consult w/the back surgeon (with MRI and Xrays) he told me I had SI Joint dysfunction and that I needed SI Joint Ablation and referred me to pain management. Pain management says "we recommend SI Joint injections, not ablation" so I had my first injection a month ago.

I felt fantastic for about 24 hours then a huge crash back to reality and back to severe pain and then some . Along with that also came terrible heartburn as well as some pretty bad headaches, hot/cold flashes and chest pain (probably from the heartburn I hope). I think these things are just starting to go away, a month later! Prior to this injection, I'de had heartburn maybe 2 times in my life!

My question to anyone who has had experience with these injections.... Is there much of a chance that a second injection will be more effective than the first? Has anyone else had heartburn after????

I did have a follow up w/pain management but they didn't seem interested in my side effects... just wanted me to make the appointment for the next injection.

I'm desperate for pain relief but I'm afraid to get another injection. Has anyone else had a successful experience with SI Joint injections? Or ablation?
Any thoughts? Any suggestions?

Before the sI injection, I'd already had trigger point therapy, chiro care, and an epidural over the past year and a half.
Thank you.

• Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    Hi Maris....I don't have experience with the S1, and hopefully I never will....but I do with acid reflux. While yours may just be side effect, it's still nothing to ignore. Like you, I had only a couple times in my life feeling heartburn, then started all of a sudden issues.

I had been taking antiinflammatory drugs for sciatic pain, and developed an ulcer, plus finding hiatal hernia, caused esophageal damage, which for the most part is much better, but take daily med for treatment of acid reflux.

Sorry to hear about your pain, hope you get some relief soon.
  • But they're making me more constipated :( Hmmm, I've also been taking anti-inflammatory meds for almost two years as well. Hope it's not from that.
    Thank you and I hope your sciatica pain gets better soon <3
  • Sheri76Sheri76 Michigan Posts: 496
    edited 10/12/2015 - 6:07 AM
    I had a lumbar fusion last March, no more sciatic pain.....what a relief!

Have you ever had an endoscopy? I think we sometimes take things to cover up symptoms, when we should probably get to the root cause and take care of that. I take a prescription for the GERD.

• Awesome to hear you've had a great experience with fusion! Congratulations!!!

I've only had this heartburn since my first SI injection. It's supposed to go away and I thought it had for a few days but it's back. I made an appointment for my second injection but I think I'm going to cancel it. I can't be up all night with this crap, I have to work 10 hours a day.

I don't want to take anything to cover up the symptoms because I need to know when/if they go away! Plus most of them are anti-diarreah med too and I sure don't constipation in my life. :)

• Sherri76: I'm experiencing low back pain, with sciatic pain. I've been just taking Advil, which isn't helping. I saw that suggested lumbar fusion. I've had the low back pain for 13 years. Just started having the sciatic pain since June of this year. I can't go on long walks, like the mall or a plant nursery, without having to sit down. I have one of those walkers with a chair on it, so when I need to sit down, I can. I've been bugging my son to help me put it together. I've had it for 4 months now and it's still in the box. I also have knee problems. Been getting cortisone shots for it. It works great for about 3 or 4 months. I figure sooner or later I will need knee replacement, How will I know when I would need knee replacement? I go see my family dr in a week and a half, I guess I should ask him then.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    edited 10/19/2015 - 11:37 AM
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Please click on link for helpful information!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History