Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

7 weeks Post-OP from a L5/S1 Fusion, and it seems impossible to sleep sound more than a couple hours a night.

If I don't take my pain meds (perc 7.5/325 2x before bed) I toss and turn and ache so bad im lucky to get 4 hours of uninteruptid sleep (Thank you FitBit for keeping track).
-I've tried melatonin/sleep tea/oils/etc
-I removed all light/stimulants/phone is on silent and face down
-I have added background noise, tried watching movies to fall asleep during with a timer to turn off after 2 hours.
-Glass of burbon or a couple beers as a nightcap prior to bed

Then on the other hand, if I take my pain meds, I suffer from insomnia where i stay awake well into mid morning/afternoon.
- I have tried Norco, Hydrocodone, Tramadol, and a handful of others at different strengths with my PCM but they all seem to have the same affect after a week.
- I take a benadryl/Tylenol PM/NyQuil/etc with and that just makes me loopy and wide awake with random 10-20 minute moments of sleep.

All and all, I'm running out of ideas and my Surgeon keeps referring me to my PCM and my PCM won't prescribe anything because I'm still being treated by the surgeon.....

Any ideas/help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Skip Hamilton

• SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    Sounds like you are trying to self medicate...which I totally understand, even if I can't agree that it is a good idea.

My periods of sleep deprivation were horrible. I was a wide eyed, wild eyed, irritable person..not always understanding what was going on around me.

My pain management doctor sent me for sleep study. I was shocked anything was noted as I didn't sleep well during testing either. But it picked up something...and doctor was able to treat with proper medication.

I still have a night or two weekly without sleep, but that I can live with!
    Proper testing and treatment brought me great relief!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][[Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 11/01/2015 - 4:57 AM
    The user and all related content has been deleted.