Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

16 year old L4/L5 Disk herniation causing sciatica/radiculopathy

Jonzie60JJonzie60 Posts: 1
I am currently 16 years old, weighing around 200 pounds at 6 foot. Initial issues happened after lifting for Varsity football around a 5 months ago. It progressively got worse, starting with having pain while lifting, etc, so i would lay off for a week or so untill the pain subsided. From there over the course of summer workouts and Training camp it continually got worse untill i could barely lift weights at all. Blowing it off i continued to play, and about week 2 of the season, (month 3) things continually got worse. I went to see the trainer and he ended up sending me to a wellington doctor. After describing my symptoms, (at this point I could no longer sit down for longer than 5 minutes, many nights of little sleep, and CONSTANT hip and butt pain that shoots down to my foot. My left foot had gone numb as well. He put me on a steriod pack to reduce inflammation, can not remember the name, and wanted me to go through pt and see how I felt in 2 weeks. After 2 weeks nothing had gotten better and I had missed a decent amount of school because of not being able to sit. At this point he wanted to have an MRI done for my back, which came back as a disk herniation with mild pinching on a nerve, (doctor did not specify the nerve). He out me on the steriod pack again, because the pain was so unbearable, and also flexeril for the muscle spasms. The only way I can move is taking the flexeril. I finished the steriod pack and have been doing the stretches and nothing at all is working. I'm on the verve of a breakdown because I can no longer do barely anything. The pain is so intense and nothing at all seems to work anymore including the flexeril. I dont know what to do and need relief NOW. I've heard about the spinal injections, which is probably the next step. I'm intensely afraid of needles and the pain the comes from them. Can anyone described the experience? I'M 16 YEARS OLD AND CAN MOVE LESS THAN MY GRANDPARENTS. I'm flat out tired of having the pain all day. somebody please help.

You must be eighteen (18) years of age or over to use the Spine-health forum. If you are older than eighteen (18) years of age you may register with us. If you are between the ages ofthirteen (13) and eighteen (18) or the applicable legal age in your jurisdiction[/u] you can use Veritas Health sites and the Spine-health Forum [u]only in conjunction with, and under the supervision of, your parent or guardian who has agreed to these Terms of Use. If you are under the age of thirteen (13), you may not use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.
If you are the parent or legal guardian of a child under the age of eighteen (18), you may use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums on behalf of such minor child. By using the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums on behalf of a minor child, you represent and warrant that you are the parent or legal guardian of such child and that all references in these Terms of Use to “you” shall refer to such child or such other individual for whom you have authorization to enter into these Terms of Use on their behalf, and you in your capacity as the parent or legal guardian of such child or as the authorized party of such individual. If you do not qualify under these terms, do not use the Veritas Health sites and/or the Spine-health Forums.

-- Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Moderator 10/13/15 09:41
Jonzie
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear that young fella as I feel that I'm in my prime years. I was very active and played many different sports all my life. I just found out today that I have L2/L3 posterior disc protrusion w annular tear. Also, an L4/L5 left paracentral disc protrusion. Roughly 2 weeks ago I had to go to the emergency room for my lower back pain which was causing sciatica...for 1 week I couldn't move and barely sleep...pain meds did not help at all. I can now walk but still hunched over and look like a very old person. what helped for me: sleeping on the floor on a hard surface (ypu do have to get use to it), inversion table, TENS unit and inversion table (bought both on amazon), and acupuncture has helped tremendously. I was never a big believer in acupuncture but I will tell you it works...it is magic and has been around thousands of years. I am mentality drained myself and trying figure things out as I write this. I missed 2 weeks of work and as a police officer I need to be 100% healthy. Just know you are not the only one going through this and others have overcome this. Let me know how you are doing these days?