Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

scoliosis and pregnancy

ChantelleCChantelle Posts: 3
edited 10/13/2015 - 9:04 AM in Scoliosis
Hi guys looking for some advice from others that have scoliosis. I have scoliosis and have had the corrections surgery with the titanium rods (this was 10 years ago ) I haven't got any kids but would like to in the future, just looking for information/advice from people with my condition. Can I have a baby? Can I have a natural birth ? Has anyone had kids or are expecting at the moment. What do I need to expect? Thanks in advance

Please remember that no one at Spine-Health is a formally trained medical professional.
Everything that is posted here is based on personal experiences and perhaps additional research.
As such, no member is permitted to provide
- Analysis or interpretation of any diagnostic test (ie MRI, CTscan, Xray, etc)
- Medical advice of any kind
- Recommendations in terms of Medications, Treatments, Exercises, etc

Liz ...Spine-health moderator

• RhondaJRRhondaJ Posts: 7
    edited 10/18/2015 - 9:33 AM
    Hi! YES you can have babies! Are you a special case...yes! You will definitely need to be more aware of your body and how it feels, and I would definitely exercise with a good trainer that has specialty in this area, to stay strong in your core! The baby will put a lot of extra pressure on your back, so you have to strengthen it!! I actually am a trainer....and I taught classes and workout up until the 7th month! But somewhere throughout the process I was doing too much, (trying to be the super trainer, without concern for my unique position!!), and put lots of stress on the unfused lumbar. I actually had a revision when my child was 4! So, you should be exercising now, to keep strong, and continue through once you do get to that time! Also, talk to your doctor, and let her know because it is harder to get in pushing position for some, and if you do want epidural, they need to know before hand! (even though I told my doctor I was fused, it wasn't passed on to the one who preforms it, and they wouldn't do it without evaluating it beforehand, so I delivered without it....which wasn't the plan!!! so that's very important!!)
    Once you have kids, just remember the holding, lifting, and bending is very hard on your unfused vetebrae so take care to do carefully!
    Hope this helps some!! My mom was fused for scoliosis as well back in the day, and had 3 of us!! And she never had back pain unbelievably!!
    Oh...an of course there will be ones that had issues, and good to hear those too!
  • Wow thank you that's lots of useful information that I can take on board. It's such a relief to know it's possible I do consider myself to have a high pain threshold but you never know when it comes to this :) my muscles in my back are at normal level I'd say . I ride horses so have a good position and regularly use my back muscles. But the more exercise the better to strengthen it :) also I'm doing pelvic floor exercises as I know that's always a plus :) I'll keep you updated with everything and how I cope when the time comes .. thanks again
  • I have a full spinal fusion with two 18 inch steel rods/13 hooks, and a second fusion at the base to pelvis due to smashing the two remaining unfused disks. I have identical twin boys (4 years old). My pregnancy, though complicated for other reasons, was when my back felt the best it has in a long time. Your body releases a hormone called 'relaxin' when pregnant. It helps your immobile muscles to stop spasming. It's truly wonderful. I got a double dose.